Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Clint Popetz <cl...@42lines.net> on 2010/02/07 19:36:05 UTC

Problems merging with 1.6.2 client and 1.5.6 server

Hi,

Are there known issues merging between branches using a 1.6.2 client and a
1.5.6 server?

Here's what I'm seeing.  I create a release branch with svn cp, commit
changes to the head, and do `svn merge -cNNN ^/trunk/path` in the branch's
working copy to backport a change to the branch.  It takes a long time
(never finishes under http/mod_dav_svn, takes almost a minute under
svn+ssh), and then svn status shows a propset modification for
svn:mergeinfo for every file recursively under my working copy of the
branch, including files that I didn't touch in the change I'm merging.

Help?

Thanks,
-Clint

Re: Problems merging with 1.6.2 client and 1.5.6 server

Posted by Michael Diers <md...@elegosoft.com>.
Michael Diers wrote:
> Clint Popetz wrote:
>> Are there known issues merging between branches using a 1.6.2 client and
>> a 1.5.6 server?
> [...]
>
> Clint,
>
> there are problems with merges and indeed merge performance in that
> client release. Some have since been addressed in more recent 1.6
> releases. I'd suggest you give the 1.6.9 client a try.
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/CHANGES

That would be

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/branches/1.6.x/CHANGES

--
Michael Diers, elego Software Solutions GmbH, http://www.elego.de

Re: Problems merging with 1.6.2 client and 1.5.6 server

Posted by Michael Diers <md...@elegosoft.com>.
Clint Popetz wrote:
> Are there known issues merging between branches using a 1.6.2 client and
> a 1.5.6 server?
[...]

Clint,

there are problems with merges and indeed merge performance in that
client release. Some have since been addressed in more recent 1.6
releases. I'd suggest you give the 1.6.9 client a try.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/CHANGES

Server at 1.5.6 should be OK, except some new features are not available
client-side; see "Compatibility Concerns" in the release notes.

http://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.6.html

Cheers,

--
Michael Diers, elego Software Solutions GmbH, http://www.elego.de