Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2007/11/16 20:06:59 UTC

Remote references for non-existent services

Should the domain api allow users to create service references to services
that don't exist in the domain yet. Currently they can and they get an
exception if they try and use it. This is consistent with the way that
references are injected into components work. I'm comfortable with it but
I'm raising it as it's potentially slightly counter intuitive for the api
user.

Regards

Simon

Re: Remote references for non-existent services

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Simon Laws wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2007 6:21 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Simon Laws wrote:
>>> Should the domain api allow users to create service references to
>> services
>>> that don't exist in the domain yet. Currently they can and they get an
>>> exception if they try and use it. This is consistent with the way that
>>> references are injected into components work. I'm comfortable with it
>> but
>>> I'm raising it as it's potentially slightly counter intuitive for the
>> api
>>> user.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>

>> Which API are you talking about?
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Sebastien
>>

>> For example,     public <B> B getService(Class<B> businessInterface,
> String serviceName);
>
> Simon

I think we need to distinguish between "existent" and "started":
- existent meaning "added to the domain"
- started meaning "currently running on a node in the domain"

With that distinction:
- adding to the domain a component with a reference to a non-existent
service should give a warning
- starting a component with a reference to a non-existent service should
give an error
- starting a component with a reference to an existent but not started
service should work

Similarly, and since getService is an API involving running code:
- getService() of a non-existent service should give an error
- getService() of an existent but not started service should work

Finally getService of an existent and started service should work as
well, hopefully :)

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Remote references for non-existent services

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.