Posted to diversity@apache.org by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/09 16:31:31 UTC

Naming branches "master"

I decided to break this thread off from blacklist/whitelist, but someone
brought this up on the Streams slack channel as we were discussing that....

In removing "master/slave" terminology from tech... is anyone doing
anything with the 'master' branches which exist in just about every repo...?

Re: Naming branches "master"

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
:)

Re: Naming branches "master"

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Naming branches "master"

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: Naming branches "master"

Posted by Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming branches "master"

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming branches "master"

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
+1 to Naomi's interpretation.

Re: Naming branches "master"

Posted by Naomi Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

cf. https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/114751 <https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/114751>

Re: Naming branches "master"

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 6:31 PM Trevor Grant <tr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I decided to break this thread off from blacklist/whitelist, but someone
> brought this up on the Streams slack channel as we were discussing that....
>
> In removing "master/slave" terminology from tech... is anyone doing
> anything with the 'master' branches which exist in just about every
> repo...?

'master' is just another branch name, nothing special about it, other than
the default protection
rules infra has in place. Some projects have 'develop' as their default.
It's up to the projects currently
what they use as default.  Not advocating any change here or not, but
technically it isn't a blocker
to choose another default.

Gav...