Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/05 18:25:21 UTC

Re: Add getBaseURI to ServletHost (was Re: Problem with getting wsdl for HelloWorldService webservice

On 8/30/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
This thread has gone quiet but there's been more discussion on this in
TUSCANY-1654 (in case people aren't reading all the jira comments).

How about we just have a  ServletHost getContextPath() modeled after the
> Servlet APIs getContextPath method?

That seems the easiest way to fix things so i'd like to do this unless
someone has a better approach?

   ...ant

Re: Add getBaseURI to ServletHost (was Re: Problem with getting wsdl for HelloWorldService webservice

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> On 9/5/07, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> ant elder wrote:
>>
>>> On 8/30/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This thread has gone quiet but there's been more discussion on this in
>>> TUSCANY-1654 (in case people aren't reading all the jira comments).
>>>
>>> How about we just have a  ServletHost getContextPath() modeled after the

>>> That seems the easiest way to fix things so i'd like to do this unless
>>> someone has a better approach?
>>>
>>>    ...ant
>>>

>> There's a better approach IMO: the getBaseURI method you proposed
>> initially.
>>
>> Here's my last comment on getContextPath(), which got snipped out of the
>> thread, so I'm just going to say it again :)
>>
>> "After reading this:
>>
>> http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/2.3/javadoc/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest.html#getContextPath()
>> ,
>> getContextPath()  seems to return the "path " portion of the URI
>> starting with /, this is different from the complete request URI. So if
>> a complete URL from a mapping is not convenient to pass to Axis2 then I
>> don't think that there's an equivalent in the Servlet APIs and it's
>> probably best to go back to your initial idea of a getBaseURI() method."
>>
>> This is also consistent with the comments in TUSCANY-1654, which report
>> that getContextPath are returning... a path, not the complete URI.
>>
>> Also the code that you pointed me to does this:
>>   String filePart = req.getRequestURL().toString(); <-- to get the
>> complete URL/URI, different from the request path
>>   o.a.t.s.binding.ws.axis2.TuscanyListingAgent.setContextRoot(filePart)
>>
>> So I'm still not sure about how this new ServletHost.getXyz() method
>> will be used, but anyway a getContextPath() doing something different
>> than the Servlet API getContextPath() will be confusing and I prefer
>> your initial getBaseURI() proposal.
>>

> I think there's some miscommunication going on here. When i said "How about
> we just have a  ServletHost getContextPath() modeled after the Servlet APIs
> getContextPath method" i meant it would also work like the  Servlet API
> method and return a path not a complete URI as with the getBaseURI proposal.
> So for the examples given initially a webapp url like,
> http://localhost:8080/helloworld-ws-service-webapp and the war distro
> http://localhost:8080/tuscany, the new getContextPath method would return
> "/helloworld-ws-service-webapp" and "/tuscany" respectively.
>
>    ...ant

Ah I see. Got it... finally :) I'm +1 on it then,
ServletHost.getContextPath() is definitely the right approach! Sorry for
having mis-understood what you meant before.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Add getBaseURI to ServletHost (was Re: Problem with getting wsdl for HelloWorldService webservice

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.