Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Si...@DCSTRANS.COM on 2002/02/15 14:05:56 UTC

want to analyse abstract schema model (through ASModel interface?)

Hello,

We  want  to  be  able  to  programatically  analyse the content model of a
schema, with a view to creating e.g. an empty form where the user can enter
a new instance of the document.

So  far,  the only route we have seen which looks likely to provide that is
the DOM Level 3 Abstract Schema specification.

The ASModel implementation in Xerces seems only just started.

The  question  is,  are  we barking up the right tree?  If so, there is the
possibility   that   we   could   contribute   to  the  completion  of  the
implementation.
If not, please point us in the right direction.

Regards,

Simon Godden
Research and Development Manager
DCS Transport and Logistics

Re: want to analyse abstract schema model (through ASModel interface?)

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.
Simon,

Simon.Godden@DCSTRANS.COM wrote:
> We  want  to  be  able  to  programatically  analyse the content model of a
> schema, with a view to creating e.g. an empty form where the user can enter
> a new instance of the document.
> So  far,  the only route we have seen which looks likely to provide that is
> the DOM Level 3 Abstract Schema specification.

Yes, this is correct.

> The ASModel implementation in Xerces seems only just started.

Yes, in Xerces we've only implemented a small portion of AS
specification that allows preloading of XML Schemas.
The reason, we have not started to implement AS-EDIT part is because we
feel that AS model specification is not stable yet. Plus, at the moment
we are more interested in exposing a read-only XML Schema components, to
provide complete PSVI information.
We plan to start working on implementing read-only access to schema
components next month.

> If so, there is the
> possibility   that   we   could   contribute   to  the  completion  of  the
> implementation.

People are always welcome to contribute! :)
In this case, however, we definitely need to work together, since this
implementation will involve changes to DOM and XML Schema/DTD
implementations. We are still not sure whether we need to modify the
core dom implementation or we can extend it and implement Abstract
Schemas in a different package (available by option).

Are you interested in read-only or read/write access? Have you started
analyzing Xerces code?

I am fwding this message to xerces-j-dev list.
--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto

Re: want to analyse abstract schema model (through ASModel interface?)

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.
Simon,