Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Emmanuel Bourg <sm...@lfjr.net> on 2004/06/21 20:17:22 UTC

[configuration] DOM vs DOM4J

Is there a good reason to keep the configurations using DOM4J instead of
their DOM based equivalent ? If there is no difference between the two
I'm tempted to remove DOM4JConfiguration and
HierarchicalDOM4JConfiguration (or to move them to a contrib directory),
and then merge DOMConfiguration into XMLConfiguration and
HierarchicalDOMJConfiguration into HierarchicalConfiguration.

What do you think ?

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [configuration] DOM vs DOM4J

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
On 21-Jun-04, at 20:17 Uhr, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Is there a good reason to keep the configurations using DOM4J instead
> of their DOM based equivalent ? If there is no difference between the
> two I'm tempted to remove DOM4JConfiguration and
> HierarchicalDOM4JConfiguration (or to move them to a contrib
> directory), and then merge DOMConfiguration into XMLConfiguration and
> HierarchicalDOMJConfiguration into HierarchicalConfiguration.
>
> What do you think ?

Although I'm not involved in configuration I would warn about speed and
memory differences.

I haven't used dom4j intensively but did, at the time use jdom quite
much. They are  very similar in memory and speed.
And this from a migration from Xerces DOM. Basically it went as follow:
- time to build with Xerces DOM 100%
- time to build with Xerces SAX on JDOM 50%
- time to build with Saxon's Aelfred SAX on JDOM 25%

Also, using dom4j might, if you do this well for it, offer you weak
xml-loading using XPP... (at least in theory).

my 2p

paul

Re: [configuration] DOM vs DOM4J

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> Is there a good reason to keep the configurations using DOM4J instead of
> their DOM based equivalent ? If there is no difference between the two
> I'm tempted to remove DOM4JConfiguration and
> HierarchicalDOM4JConfiguration (or to move them to a contrib directory),
> and then merge DOMConfiguration into XMLConfiguration and
> HierarchicalDOMJConfiguration into HierarchicalConfiguration.
>
> What do you think ?

+1

-- Jörg