Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Boyle Owen <Ow...@swx.com> on 2002/07/03 11:37:48 UTC

RE: A panicked newbie that needs a little help

>From: Phillip Blake [mailto:phillip@blakeandmuresan.com]
>
>Before I get blasted for this seemingly mindless request, please know
>that within 3 months I have changed from Windose to Linux, setup the
>Apache web server running PHP4, Mod_SSL and mySQL.  All are working
>magnificently - I currently have 6 clients hosted on this server.

Congratulations and welcome to Open-source!

>How the hell do I apply the latest Apache patch for the recent
>'Chunked
>Encoding' issue?  As a newbie, I am familiar with using the patch
>command but when this patch asks me what file/s to patch...  I
>wouldn't
>have a clue.  I am equally confused whether you can patch your live
>Apache server or whether you must first patch the source and then
>recompile the server?  If the later is true, how does this affect a
>configuration that has been compile with PHP as a module using mySQL?

You can't patch a running server - you have to edit the faulty file, recompile, stop apache, install the new binary, start apache.

Rather than patching, I did a complete upgrade to the latest source (1.3.26). Did you keep notes when you compiled the last time? If yes, just follow the same process but with the new apache version. If no,... oh dear....

If you do have to work it all out again, keep a note of exactly every command you type when compiling/installing. Then when you need to upgrade again, it will be a breeze. If you like, I can send you my notes from this (although I don't have PHP or mySQL but I do use mod_perl) or check out Luc de Louw's guide on http://www.delouw.ch/linux/Apache-Compile-HOWTO/Apache-Compile-HOWTO.pdf.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

Re: A panicked newbie that needs a little help

Posted by Phillip Blake <ph...@blakeandmuresan.com>.
Cheers Jimmy - thanks again. ;-)

Posted by Jimmy Lantz <ji...@lusidor.com>.

Posted by Phillip Blake <ph...@blakeandmuresan.com>.