Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Edmar Edilton da Silva <ra...@ic.unicamp.br> on 2000/12/05 14:20:24 UTC

Response time of a perl script!!!

	Hi folks,

	I ran a same perl script twice. First time only under mod_perl,
and after under mod_perl and Apache::DBI. The response time of both
experiments was very different. The last was fastest than the first
approximately 20 times. Is it correctly? If the response time of a perl
script with mod_perl is bad, I think that it without mod_perl will be
much worse. I also would like to know if when the apache (with mod_perl)
starts each child process already has one embedded interpreter or they
will have only when the first request arrives. Please, if soneone help me
will be very appreciated. Thanks...

	Edmar,

RE: Response time of a perl script!!!

Posted by Jason Liu <ja...@openwave.com>.
In this situation, I think the bottle neck is establishing connection with
the database.  Apache::DBI helps to maintain persistent database connection.
That's why the latter test is 20 times faster.

Jason

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
> 	I ran a same perl script twice. First time only under mod_perl,
> and after under mod_perl and Apache::DBI. The response time of both
> experiments was very different. The last was fastest than the first
> approximately 20 times. Is it correctly? If the response time of a perl
> script with mod_perl is bad, I think that it without mod_perl will be
> much worse. I also would like to know if when the apache (with mod_perl)
> starts each child process already has one embedded interpreter or they
> will have only when the first request arrives. Please, if soneone help me
> will be very appreciated. Thanks...

Edmar Edilton, I suggest that you read the documentation first. We'd
gladly answer your questions that aren't coverted by documentation. I've
already responded your exact question with link to
http://perl.apache.org/guide/, have you read it and still have this
question?

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://jazzvalley.com