Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Shapira, Yoav" <Yo...@mpi.com> on 2003/12/02 18:18:40 UTC

Minimal server.xml

Hi,
IMHO the server.xml that comes with tomcat by default
($CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml) is nice in that it provides many
comments and examples.  But I think power users would appreciate a
minimal version as well, so I've created one, as shown below.  Should we
distribute something like this, perhaps as
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/server-minimal.xml?

  <Service name="Catalina">
    <Connector port="8080"
               enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
acceptCount="100"
               debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
               disableUploadTimeout="true" />

    <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">
              prefix="catalina_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>

      <Host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
                 directory="logs"  prefix="localhost_log." suffix=".txt"
            timestamp="true"/>

      </Host>

    </Engine>

  </Service>

</Server>

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender.  Thank you.

Re: Minimal server.xml

Posted by Bob Herrmann <bo...@jadn.com>.
Sounds like a good idea to me.  I would recommend removing the "Logger"
and just letting the output go into catalina.out

-bob

Re: Minimal server.xml

Posted by Dan Johnsson <da...@omegapoint.se>.

Remy Maucherat wrote:
> This does sound like vallid points.
>
> However, we would have to add an AJP connector to the mix so that the
> "minimal" config is out of the box compatible with the current default
> config.

Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me.

> We would need a realm as well.

Most probably: without one it will be hard for the beginners to use the
manager app, something they definately want to do. (Or is it enough that
the settings needed (realm, add user, etc) are described in the
Management HOW-TO?

	Dan Johnsson

Re: Minimal server.xml

Posted by Dan Johnsson <da...@omegapoint.se>.
On logging:

The suggested server-minimal.xml does only contain a Logging-tag that
makes no use of the special features (thus only logging to catalina.out,
making the tag redundant, nicht Wahr?).

To compensate for the lack of "out of the box" features, we should add
brief HOW-TO:s. I volunteer to do one on e g logging.

Re: Minimal server.xml

Posted by Bob Herrmann <bo...@jadn.com>.
I am +1 on this as well.

Re: Minimal server.xml