Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/06/30 02:28:19 UTC

Re: Vague ASP Vulnerability in WebSite and Netscape NT Servers (fwd)

Bastard.

Lets see... we now have 854 ways of having unnecessary filename variance
on Win32.

From: "Bob Denny" <rd...@dc3.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 07:15:28 -0700

----

Drew Whittle wrote:
> The problem is with the webserver. (should
> be an easy fix tho.)

Yes, and yes. Actually, the problem arises from an NT/95/98 bug
where the CreateFile() system service (used for both opening and
creating files) will take a file name with a trailing space, then
it will open or create a file without the trailing space. Spaces
are allowed in file names. Therefore, this API should create the
file WITH the trailing space, and it should FAIL to open a file
with a trailing space unless a file with that name really exists.
It is a bug that the API will open/create a file with a DIFFERENT
name than was given to the system call.

What SHOULD have happened is that the system should have returned
an error when the filename with the trailing space was used to
open the document, resulting in a 404 Not Found from the
webserver. In 2.3, WebSite will rudely reject any filename with
trailing space(s) as not operating-system-safe.

  -- Bob