Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by KEILHOLZ Werner <we...@cstb.fr> on 2012/05/24 12:03:10 UTC

Adding editable text boxes to PDF document

Hi,

I need to add editable text boxes (actual text boxes with a name, not just 'drawn' text boxes) to a PDF document generated by FOP.

The xmlgraphics web site seems to suggest that this is possible using extensions, like in the example of adding JAVA script to open a search box
( http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/design/extending.html ).

I did some research and all discussions seem to say that this is 'impossible'. Didn't anyone ever implement such an extension?
Is it not possible to create editable forms with FOP?

Thanks,

Werner

Re: Adding editable text boxes to PDF document

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Am 24.05.2012 12:03, schrieb KEILHOLZ Werner:
> I need to add editable text boxes (actual text boxes with a name, not
> just 'drawn' text boxes) to a PDF document generated by FOP.
>
> The xmlgraphics web site seems to suggest that this is possible using
> extensions, like in the example of adding JAVA script to open a
> search box (
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/design/extending.html ).
>
> I did some research and all discussions seem to say that this is
> 'impossible'. Didn't anyone ever implement such an extension? Is it
> not possible to create editable forms with FOP?

FOP can't produce editable text boxes in PDF directly. It could be done
using embedded JavaScript, but using a different tool line PDFBox or
iText to post process the PDF generated by FOP is much easier.

J.Pietschmann