Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com> on 2002/10/26 05:45:16 UTC

[POLL] Automatic generation of the database

Hi all,

When Xindice doesn't find the database it automatically creates one.
For example, xindice ac -c /db -n data automatically creates the /db and
/db/collections, even if no database has been created.

I would like to propose that instead of this automatic creation, Xindice
simply returns an error.  Although this solution is less elegant, it
will certainly reduce futur problems (typically "where is my database?")

We would have to introduce the following commands:
    xindice create_database -n db
    xindice delete_database -n db
to specifically create the database (and separate the collection and
database notions).

Which behaviour should be implemented in Xindice 1.1?

[  ] as is: automatically create the database
[  ] warn when the database is not found and let me explicitely create one

Thank you for answering

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: [POLL] Automatic generation of the database

Posted by Kevin Ross <Ke...@iVerticalLeap.com>.

Posted by Philipp Chudinov <fi...@quorus-ms.ru>.
I agree with Murray Altheim

> I'd throw an exception and let the application decide what to do.
> Creating a database when one was expected to already exist is sure
> to cause all manner of confusion, both at programmer and user level.

And it may be useful if somewhere in config one could set some  flag, like
autocreate="true"/"false", letting either create or not with not by default.
And it would be nice if Xindice will throw an exception also.

Re: [POLL] Automatic generation of the database

Posted by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk>.
Vladimir R. Bossicard wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When Xindice doesn't find the database it automatically creates one.
> For example, xindice ac -c /db -n data automatically creates the /db and
> /db/collections, even if no database has been created.
>[...]
> Which behaviour should be implemented in Xindice 1.1?

Always the principle of least surprise:

 > [ ] as is: automatically create the database
 > [X] warn when the database is not found and let me explicitely create one

I'd throw an exception and let the application decide what to do.
Creating a database when one was expected to already exist is sure
to cause all manner of confusion, both at programmer and user level.

Murray

Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK

            If you're the first person in a new territory,
            you're likely to get shot at.
                                                     -- ma

Re: [POLL] Automatic generation of the database

Posted by jmt <jm...@dxdydz.net>.
My opinion :
> Which behaviour should be implemented in Xindice 1.1?
>
> [  ] as is: automatically create the database
> [ 1] warn when the database is not found and let me explicitely create one

jmt

Re: [POLL] Automatic generation of the database

Posted by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk>.

Posted by Peter Elliott <ax...@paradise.net.nz>.
On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 20:45:16 -0700
"Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com> wrote:

> Which behaviour should be implemented in Xindice 1.1?
>
> [  ] as is: automatically create the database
> [+1] warn when the database is not found and let me explicitely create one
>
> Thank you for answering

thanks for asking

cheers
pre

Re: [POLL] Automatic generation of the database

Posted by Kenny Chow <ky...@yahoo.com>.
+1 for  [] warn when the database is not found and let
me explicitely create one. The former (current)
behavior could introduce chaos..

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/