Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mark Menard <ma...@mjm.net> on 2006/12/02 05:10:10 UTC

[s2] Theme Tutorial

After extending the xhtml theme to handle multi-column layouts I wrote up a
tutorial covering how I did it, and a sample project illustrating it. Anyone
interested in extending the S2 GUI tags might find this helpful. There were
several things that I stumbled on in the process, so you can learn from my
mistakes.

http://www.vitarara.org/cms/node/85

Mark

Re: [s2] Theme Tutorial

Posted by Mark Menard <ma...@mjm.net>.
On 12/2/06 12:29 AM, "Don Brown" <do...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is very impressive.  Would you be interested in donating it to
> the official Struts 2 documentation, or at least, allowing us to link
> to it?

Absolutely. Either would work. I'm in the process of making a cook book as I
go along learning Struts 2. (http://www.vitarara.org/cms/struts2cookbook)
It's only three articles at the moment, but I'm trying to add an article a
week, of similar scope as this tutorial. So, I don't know what would be
better incorporate the article into the S2 documentation, link to it, or
link to the cook book. Thoughts?

Now, to resume a thread from earlier this week.

On 12/1/06 1:53 PM, "Don Brown" <do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/1/06, Mark Menard <ma...@mjm.net> wrote:
>> In a related vein I would like to add some default properties to the UI
>> tags. Currently I'm passing these things into my template using <s:param>
>> tags. I'd like to be able to do the following though:
>>
>>     <s:textfield name="someProperty" inputcolspan="2" />
>>
>> Any idea where I would start with this?
>
> This is a trickier problem.  With JSP 2.0 IIRC, they support the
> concept of attributes that aren't defined in the TLD.  The problem
> here is that then the tag becomes less useful to tools that provide
> autocompletion.  Stripes solves this problem by providing two sets of
> tags - same tags but different TLDs - so you can use the non-varargs
> ones by default but then switch to the varargs when necessary.  If you
> think Struts 2 should have this, start a thread on dev@.

So, now do you see my interest in this feature of being able to add
properties to the tags without having to use param.

The following:

<s:textfield name="firstName" label="First Name">
    <s:param name="labelcolspan" vaue="%{2}" />
    <s:param name="inputcolspan" value="%{2}" />
</s:textfield>

Could be simplified down to:

<s:textfield name="firstName" label="First Name" labelcolspan="%{2}"
             inputcolspan="%{2}" />

Then I could also do the following on the form tag:

<s:form action="some.action" colspan="%{8}">
    <s:textfield name="firstName" label="First Name" labelcolspan="%{2}"
                 inputcolspan="%{6}" />
</s:form>

I haven't dug into this deeper. I spent most of last night writing the
tutorial as a means of illustrating how it could be made easier to read with
that extension to the tags.

Take care,

Mark

Re: [s2] Theme Tutorial

Posted by Don Brown <do...@gmail.com>.
This is very impressive.  Would you be interested in donating it to
the official Struts 2 documentation, or at least, allowing us to link
to it?

Don