Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2009/07/14 02:28:53 UTC

FTP open questions

Just finished the last showstopper.  I would be happy to advance this
to release / general availability vote with the next release, if we can
determine just a few oddball issue resolutions.  Jim and I have already
gone ahead and moved many internal interfaces out of the private headers,
which was my motivation for holding off a year ago.

Should we advertise the commands we have not implemented, or remove them?

Should we alert the user to the ServerAdmin address in the HELP contents?

Right now HELP offers up;

214-The following commands are recognized (* =>'s unimplemented).
    FEAT    TYPE    RMD     QUIT    RNTO    PORT   *MODE    APPE
   *ALLO    STOR    PWD    *STOU   *REIN    AUTH    MDTM    SYST
    XMKD   *SITE    XCWD    PASS    PASV    DELE   *ACCT    EPRT
    SIZE    XRMD    NOOP    LIST    REST    PBSZ    XCUP    NLST
   *SMNT    XPWD    ABOR    PROT    HELP    CDUP   *STRU    RNFR
    MKD    *STAT    RETR    CWD     EPSV    USER
214 Direct comments to [no address given]

Just for reference, three popular linux servers respond with no
unimplemented features, one offers "Direct comments to" admin address,
one offers the website address of it's project, and one just ends with
the result "Help OK"

The admin has little control over which commands are supported (although
which commands are -allowed- is another matter entirely :)  So it just
strikes me as odd to direct comments with respect to the HELP inquiry.

Re: FTP open questions

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Jul 13, 2009, at 8:28 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Just finished the last showstopper.  I would be happy to advance this
> to release / general availability vote with the next release, if we
> can
> determine just a few oddball issue resolutions.  Jim and I have
> already
> gone ahead and moved many internal interfaces out of the private
> headers,
> which was my motivation for holding off a year ago.
>
> Should we advertise the commands we have not implemented, or remove
> them?

+1 for keeping as is.

> Should we alert the user to the ServerAdmin address in the HELP
> contents?

+1

Re: FTP open questions

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Jul 14, 2009, at 8:02 AM, Jorge Schrauwen wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 2:28 AM, William A. Rowe,

>> Should we advertise the commands we have not implemented, or remove
>> them?
> Yes, It's always useful to know for a more advance user.

+1 on keeping them.

>> Should we alert the user to the ServerAdmin address in the HELP
>> contents?
> Maybe reuse ServerTokens for this?

Elegant!

S.

--
Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org

Re: FTP open questions

Posted by Jorge Schrauwen <jo...@gmail.com>.
Jr.<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Just finished the last showstopper.  I would be happy to advance this
> to release / general availability vote with the next release, if we can
> determine just a few oddball issue resolutions.  Jim and I have already
> gone ahead and moved many internal interfaces out of the private headers,
> which was my motivation for holding off a year ago.
>
> Should we advertise the commands we have not implemented, or remove them?
Yes, It's always useful to know for a more advance user.

> Should we alert the user to the ServerAdmin address in the HELP contents?
Maybe reuse ServerTokens for this?

Full/OS => serveradmin + unimplemented commands
Minimal => unimplemented commands
Minor => only list implemented commands
Major => only list allowed commands
Prod => no help?

That way the server admin still has a say in it?

Not sure the extra coding is worth it though.