Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Marko Kaening <mk...@mch.osram.de> on 2006/04/27 13:06:59 UTC

Adding to a repository without initial import dangerous?

Hi,

I created a repository, did a checkout which resulted in an empty
directory. There I created the classical dir structure "branches, tags,
trunk" and committed these. Afterwards I checked out the trunk and would
work on this from now on.

I didn't use "svn import" during this procedure. Is this dangerous or just
another way to reach the same result?

Marko

Re: Adding to a repository without initial import dangerous?

Posted by Erik Naasner <e....@goepel.com>.
Hi,
i did it many times like this and never discovered any problems.

Erik

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Nick Thompson wrote:
> On Thursday 27 April 2006 14:06, Marko Kaening wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I created a repository, did a checkout which resulted in an empty
>> directory. There I created the classical dir structure "branches,
>> tags, trunk" and committed these. Afterwards I checked out the
>> trunk and would work on this from now on.
>>
>> I didn't use "svn import" during this procedure. Is this dangerous
>> or just another way to reach the same result?
>
> That's a perfectly reasonable way to get the same result. I have a
> ready made dir structure that I have "import"ed to many new repos.
> import doesn't change the dirs contents, so I can reuse it many
> times. But your approach is safe.

I've come to really prefer doing an "add" to an "import". It's too easy to
accidentally import to the wrong location, especially if you're importing
something called "project-1235" into an already existing "trunk" directory
and winding up with "trunk/project-1235". It's embarassing....

Re: Adding to a repository without initial import dangerous?

Posted by Nick Thompson <ni...@agere.com>.