Posted to user@openwebbeans.apache.org by Luc <us...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/16 10:34:07 UTC

Move from Weld to OpenWebBeas

Hello,

I've been using Weld as CDI-implementation in a Tomcat 6 webapp deployment
project.
Now, I was triying to move to OpenWebBeans, to test if the webapp
perfomance was better, but I'm facing a few problems / differences, that
I'd like to check before continue.

First is deployment: as I've read here[1], the owb plugins and CDI spec
must be in the tomcat/lib folder, is it right?

The problem in my case is that *not all the deployed tomcat webaps are CDI*,
and I don't want them to be coupled with.

I also wanted to review documentation from the Apache project web, like the
tomcat one[2], but all is "not found". Is this correct?

Thanks!

[1]: http://java.dzone.com/articles/using-apache-openwebbeans
[2]: http://openwebbeans.apache.org/openwebbeans-tomcat6/index.html
--
Lucas

Re: Move from Weld to OpenWebBeas

Posted by Luc <us...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Thanks for the fast replies.

2013/4/16 Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> you can put OWB in your webapp
>
> then the way you boot it depend on what you expect. For simple case
> CdiCtrl of DeltaSpike can be enough in a context listener, for more
> advanced case (integration with servlets) you can need tomcat listeners of
> openwebbeans-tomcatX modules
>
> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> *Blog: **http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/*<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/>

Sorry, I didn't mention it. My project is a Servlet+JSF webapp.

2013/4/16 Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>

> hi lucas,
>
> you can have a look at the archetypes for codi (they use owb configured
> for servlet-containers).
>
> just generate it via
> mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeCatalog=http://myfaces.apache.org
> and update the version numbers (as needed).
>
> also most examples for codi use owb as well (see e.g. [1] and [2]).
>
> regards,
> gerhard
>
> [1]
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/cdi/trunk/examples/jsf-playground/hello_myfaces-codi_jsf20/
> [2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EXTCDI/External

Nice examples! I've generated a maven archetype from myfaces, with OWB and
Mojarra, and I am adapting it to my needs.

As far as I see, has less thirdparty dependencies (scannotations and
javassist) and is more module-oriented.
But in the other hand, I'm finding some more "complex" differences in the
use of CDI. I'll take a look later and I'll send e-mail if needed.

Thanks a lot! :D

Re: Move from Weld to OpenWebBeas

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi lucas,