Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com> on 2003/12/05 17:14:35 UTC

[J2] Service and Component Frameworks

Has anybody given a serious look at Avalon Merlin
Service Management Framework and how it compares to
others?

Reading this from Avalon web site was quite
interesting:
<quote>
Each of these initative, from complex system such as
the James enterprise messaging platform through to
utility components such as the Cornerstone component
suite (thread pools, persistence, task scheduling,
etc.) can be <b>represented in Merlin as pluggable
services within a composite component context</b>.
</quote>

It opens all kinds of possibilities...

Regards,

David.

Re: [J2] Service and Component Frameworks

Posted by Jun Yang <ju...@cisco.com>.
David Le Strat wrote:

>Has anybody given a serious look at Avalon Merlin
>Service Management Framework and how it compares to
>others?
>
>Reading this from Avalon web site was quite
>interesting:
><quote>
>Each of these initative, from complex system such as
>the James enterprise messaging platform through to
>utility components such as the Cornerstone component
>suite (thread pools, persistence, task scheduling,
>etc.) can be <b>represented in Merlin as pluggable
>services within a composite component context</b>.
></quote>

This is also true for Jetspeed Cornerstone.  In fact we have gone into
identifying the fractal properties of Cornerstone (refer to the slide
titled Fractal Properties in the presentation
http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/CornerstoneFramework2.pdf), one
of which is the fact that all Cornerstone components and services (can
be proxies to foreign components and services), however complex or
trivial they are, are configurable/customizable/pluggable in all 4
dimensions: 1) component; 2) relationship; 3) control flow; 4)
customization preserved over time.

>It opens all kinds of possibilities...

Yes, completely agreed.

>Regards,
>
>David.

Jun

Re: [J2] Service and Component Frameworks

Posted by Barnhill William <ba...@bah.com>.
>Those frameworks all have their pros and cons, and any
>of them could probably work.  The question is more:
>which one is most likely to be shared accross
>projects, gain wide acceptance and emulate component
>sharing?
>
>Just my 2 cents.
>
>Regards,
>
>David.

I agree completely, and thank you for stating what I was trying to say
better than I did.  Not to add too many  cooks to the kitchen, but as
long as we are talking about integration and Jakarta project fusion,
whatever happened to the idea of integrating Struts into Jetspeed,
essentially dividing Jetspeed into two sets of components: struts
(PortletActions & PortletActionForms) and services
(PortletLayoutManagers, PortletContentSources).  The idea and names are
just shooting from the hip, but I had seen an old email regarding Struts
and Jetspeed in the archives.  I hadn't seen anything after it though.

Bill Barnhill

Re: [J2] Service and Component Frameworks

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
--- Barnhill William <ba...@bah.com> wrote:
> I think it's possible for either one to use the
> other's components, with
> the injection of a shim layer.
>
> I'm loathe to suggest it, but if the consensus is
> thatwe should be able
> to use different service frameworks then I'd suggest
> a commons-services
> package that does for
> Avalon-Merlin,Cornerstone,HiveMind, etc. what
> commons-logging does for log4j, jdk1.4 logging, etc.
>

>  I personally feel that standardizing on a single
> service framework and
> porting any components missing to that framework
> would be better. That
> avoids the lowest common denominator problem, albeit
> at the cost of
> porting and possibly forking some components.

I agree with you on this, standardizing on a single
service framework is probably best.

FYI, Cocoon uses Avalon Merlin and it could be
interesting to build synergies between the projects.
I remember a while back one of the Cocoon committers
expressing interest in supporting JSR168 in their
portal server.  It could also be interesting to share
some services as well.

Posted by Barnhill William <ba...@bah.com>.