Posted to announce@apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org> on 2013/09/03 22:05:28 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache uimaFIT 2.0.0 released

The Apache UIMA team is pleased to announce the release of

  Apache uimaFIT, version 2.0.0 (initial Apache release)

Apache uimaFIT is a library that facilitates the building of
Apache UIMA components, the programmatic use of Apache UIMA
analysis pipelines, and their testing.

uimaFIT employs Java annotations to integrate UIMA meta data
directly into the source code, allowing for less lines of code
and better refactorability then traditional, XML descriptor-based
UIMA projects. It is capable of automatically detecting meta data,
e.g. type system information, from the classpath. Convenience
methods are provided for constructing components, pipelines,
and for accessing annotations.

This is the first Apache release of the project previously known
simply as "uimaFIT".

The major changes in this release are:

  * Migration to Apache Foundation as part of the Apache UIMA project
  * New Maven coordinates
    (groupId: org.apache.uima; artifactId: uimafit-core)
  * New uimaFIT Maven plugin for automatically generating uimaFIT
    meta data in component classes and UIMA descriptors from
    uimaFIT-annotated component classes
  * New module for backwards compatibility with uimaFIT 1.4.x-based
    components
  * Consolidated documentation in HTML and PDF format
  * Moved CPE support to separate dependency
    (groupId: org.apache.uima; artifactId: uimafit-cpe)
  * Improved component life-cycle handling
  * New support for setting multi-valued parameters with simple single
    values (no need to wrap them in a collection or array anymore)
  * Improved support for external resources, including support for
    multi-valued external resources

Note on compatibility and migration:

Apache uimaFIT 2.0.0 is not a drop-in replacement for uimaFIT 1.4.x,
although, it was tried to keep the migration effort minimal. Please
refer to the migration guide for all the details on incompatible
changes between uimaFIT 1.4.0 and Apache uimaFIT 2.0.0:

  http://uima.apache.org/d/uimafit-2.0.0/tools.uimafit.book.html#d5e617

Additionally, there have been more bug fixes and minor improvements.
For a full list of the changes, please refer to Jira:

  http://uima.apache.org/d/uimafit-2.0.0/issuesFixed/jira-report.html

-- Richard Eckart de Castilho, for the Apache UIMA development team

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache uimaFIT 2.0.0 released

Posted by Renaud Richardet <re...@gmail.com>.
@Richard: Here we go: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-3317

@Marshall: Thanks for the pointer.

All the best, Renaud

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 9/27/2013 5:57 AM, Renaud Richardet wrote:
> Thanks Richard and others for the release of uimaFIT 2!
>
> Here are a few shell commands to ease the migration to version 2:
> https://gist.github.com/renaud/6726388
>
> BTW, what happened to DocumentAnnotation in UIMA 2.4?
See this mail thread and associated links for some background here.

http://markmail.org/message/shjzjwnihmqckzwo

Posted by Renaud Richardet <re...@epfl.ch>.

--
Renaud Richardet