Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org> on 2020/10/10 13:35:27 UTC

Hacktoberfest

There is this open-source contribution incentive thing called
"Hacktoberfest" --
https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com
If we merely add the "hacktoberfest" label to our GitHub repo here:
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/.asf.yaml
then we may see some additional PR based contributions to Lucene/Solr.
If a PR contributor mentions Hacktoberfest, we also then add the
"hacktoberfest-accepted" label to the PR itself.  Example:
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/1970  That PR is what exposed me
to this program.

Can I get another PMC's +1 to the idea and I'll just edit our labels?

"Risks" are perhaps more PRs/contributions than we are used to, some may be
typo in nature, and probably without JIRA issues.  Granted, trivial ones
don't need JIRA issues anyway.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: Hacktoberfest

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
Okay.  Maybe our large project is not an ideal candidate to be labelled
with this.  Still... when an individual PR requests the label then there's
no harm in labelling just the PR as such --

Re: Hacktoberfest

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@apache.org>.
From my previous experiences, Hacktoberfest tends to lead to a lot of spam