Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Brad Spencer <sp...@infointeractive.com> on 2004/08/03 17:06:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 mod_dav interaction with Expect: 100-continue

I've been unable to determine what the "proper" interaction is between
WebDav and the "Expect: 100-continue" functionality should be.  When
using Apache 1.3 with a third-party mod_put a while back, I was seeing
what I considered at least to be useful behaviour: basic permission
and sanity checks would be made before returning "100 Continue".

For example, I expect:

  PUT /not-allowed HTTP/1.1
  Host: box
  Expect: 100-continue

  HTTP/1.1 405 Method Not Allowed
  ...etc...

But with Apache 2.0.48 and mod_dav, I get:

  PUT /not-allowed HTTP/1.1
  Host: box
  Expect: 100-continue

  HTTP/1.1 100 Continue

  abc
  HTTP/1.1 405 Method Not Allowed
  ...etc..

To me, this seems to defeat the purpose of the continue header, as
specified in RFC 2616:

   The purpose of the 100 (Continue) status (see section 10.1.1) is to
   allow a client that is sending a request message with a request
   body to determine if the origin server is willing to accept the
   request (based on the request headers) before the client sends the
   request body. In some cases, it might either be inappropriate or
   highly inefficient for the client to send the body if the server
   will reject the message without looking at the body.

This is, in fact the case for me.  It is both inappropriate and
inefficient to send the message body if the server is just going to
flat out reject it because it's not in a collection that allows PUT,
for example.

Is this behaviour of mod_dav intentional?  Is there anything I can
configure to change it?

Thanks!

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 mod_dav interaction with Expect: 100-continue

Posted by Brad Spencer <sp...@infointeractive.com>.
On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:40:33AM +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:06:10PM -0300, Brad Spencer wrote:
> > But with Apache 2.0.48 and mod_dav, I get:
> >
> >   PUT /not-allowed HTTP/1.1
> >   Host: box
> >   Expect: 100-continue
> >
> >   HTTP/1.1 100 Continue
> >
> >   abc
> >   HTTP/1.1 405 Method Not Allowed
> >   ...etc..
> >
> > To me, this seems to defeat the purpose of the continue header, as
> > specified in RFC 2616:
>
> That is odd, but I can't reproduce the issue here using 2.0.50.  What
> DAV configuration are you using?

Thanks for the reply.

We're going to try 2.0.50, but our DAV configuration is pretty basic:

 # WebDAV support
 LoadModule dav_module /opt/apache-2.0.48/modules/mod_dav.so
 LoadModule dav_fs_module /opt/apache-2.0.48/modules/mod_dav_fs.so
 DAVLockDB /var/apache/lock/DAVLock

 <Directory /export/spare/data>
     Options Indexes
     AllowOverride None
     DAV On
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
 </Directory>

 Alias /data /export/spare/data
 <Location /data>
     DAV On
 </Location>

 Alias /new /export/spare/data/new
 <Location /new>
    DAV On
 </Location>

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 mod_dav interaction with Expect: 100-continue

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:06:10PM -0300, Brad Spencer wrote:
> But with Apache 2.0.48 and mod_dav, I get:
>
>   PUT /not-allowed HTTP/1.1
>   Host: box
>   Expect: 100-continue
>
>   HTTP/1.1 100 Continue
>
>   abc
>   HTTP/1.1 405 Method Not Allowed
>   ...etc..
>
> To me, this seems to defeat the purpose of the continue header, as
> specified in RFC 2616:

That is odd, but I can't reproduce the issue here using 2.0.50.  What
DAV configuration are you using?

joe