Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pete Carapetyan <pe...@datafundamentals.com> on 2007/12/29 13:26:02 UTC

an "mvn setup:diagnose" would be nice at times like this :)

Long time Maven user getting the dreaded "plugin does not exist or no
valid version could be found" on every maven call after unrelated
software installation. Any advice where to look next greatly
appreciated.

Ran on same box 2 hours before, runs on every other box same network
connection, only thing different is I installed some screen capturing
software (Camtasia) which might have done something - don't know how
to diagnose what. Everything else on the box still running great far
as I can tell.

Here is what I have done to make sure it isn't the usual suspects.
- no proxy - other computer works fine as did this one two hours earlier
- no firewall - turned off firewall to test that
- installed bran new latest version of maven, pointed to fresh empty repository
- virgin conf/settings.xml
- ran archetype:create to make sure it wasn't a lame pom.xml in an
existing project

Below is example of what I ran and what came back (blowing away
repository first). It does go as far as to build one
maven-metadata-central.xml in
~\.m2\repository\org\apache\maven\plugins then it quits and prints the
stacktrace below.

$ mvn -X archetype:create   -DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.maven.archetypes   -D
archetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-site   -DgroupId=org.artofillusion   -Darti
factId=maven-sample

+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
Maven version: 2.0.8
Java version: 1.6.0_01
OS name: "windows xp" version: "5.1" arch: "x86" Family: "windows"
[DEBUG] Building Maven user-level plugin registry from: 'C:\Documents and Settin
gs\Administrator\.m2\plugin-registry.xml'
[DEBUG] Building Maven global-level plugin registry from: 'c:\dev\apache-maven-2
.0.8\conf\plugin-registry.xml'
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'archetype'.
[DEBUG] Loading plugin prefixes from group: org.apache.maven.plugins
[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from central
[WARNING] repository metadata for: 'org.apache.maven.plugins' could not be retri
eved from repository: central due to an error: Error transferring file
[INFO] Repository 'central' will be blacklisted
[DEBUG] Exception
org.apache.maven.wagon.TransferFailedException: Error transferring file
        at org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.LightweightHttpWagon.fillInputD
ata(LightweightHttpWagon.java:104)
        at org.apache.maven.wagon.StreamWagon.get(StreamWagon.java:68)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.getRemoteFile(D
efaultWagonManager.java:462)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.getArtifactMeta
data(DefaultWagonManager.java:363)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.repository.metadata.DefaultRepositoryMetada
taManager.resolveAlways(DefaultRepositoryMetadataManager.java:364)
        at org.apache.maven.artifact.repository.metadata.DefaultRepositoryMetada
taManager.resolve(DefaultRepositoryMetadataManager.java:97)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginMappingManager.loadPluginMapping
s(DefaultPluginMappingManager.java:103)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginMappingManager.loadPluginMapping
s(DefaultPluginMappingManager.java:87)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginMappingManager.getByPrefix(Defau
ltPluginMappingManager.java:61)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.getPluginDefinitionForPr
efix(DefaultPluginManager.java:150)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1451)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.segmentTaskListBy
AggregationNeeds(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:386)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLi
fecycleExecutor.java:138)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:333)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:126)
java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)

Caused by: java.net.UnknownHostException: repo1.maven.org
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:177)
        at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:157)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:388)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:515)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:233)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:306)
        at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:318)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getNewHttpClient(HttpURLC
onnection.java:792)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConne
ction.java:733)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection
.java:658)
        at sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLCon
nection.java:981)
        at org.apache.maven.wagon.providers.http.LightweightHttpWagon.fillInputD
ata(LightweightHttpWagon.java:83)
        ... 23 more
[DEBUG] Loading plugin prefixes from group: org.codehaus.mojo
[DEBUG] Skipping blacklisted repository central
[DEBUG] Skipping blacklisted repository central
[DEBUG] maven-archetype-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the latest ve
rsion

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:LATEST

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-
plugin:pom:LATEST
[DEBUG] maven-archetype-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the release v
ersion

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:RELEASE

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-
plugin:pom:RELEASE
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exi
st or no valid version could be found
[DEBUG] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: The plugin 'org.apache.m
aven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be
 found
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:1286)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1522)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.segmentTaskListBy
AggregationNeeds(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:386)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLi
fecycleExecutor.java:138)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:333)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:126)
java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)

Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.version.PluginVersionNotFoundException: The p
lugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exist or no val
id version could be found
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePl
uginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:229)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePl
uginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:91)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyPlugin(DefaultPlug
inManager.java:167)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:1257)
        ... 14 more
[INFO] Total time: 2 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Sat Dec 29 05:37:23 CST 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/4M

Re: an "mvn setup:diagnose" would be nice at times like this :)

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 30, 2007 3:01 AM, Pete Carapetyan <pe...@datafundamentals.com> wrote:
> Thanks Stuart  for the idea on running the java program to make sure.
> Of course that works perfectly. But at least one more issue taken care
> of.
>
> So recapping, here is what it does NOT appear to be
> - proxy problem
> - java permission problem
> - firewall problem
> - network problem
> - JAVA_HOME problem
>
> Anyone else got any other brilliant ideas ?

Not brillant but things you could try:

* using another user from the same machine
* start by looking at your effective pom: mvn help:effective-pom
** ensure that you don't use a mirror, that your global
.m2\settings.xml are empty
* try forcing to go through a maven mirror
* try forcing to go through a proxy
* force central to be localhost and see how this goes.

Re: an "mvn setup:diagnose" would be nice at times like this :)

Posted by Pete Carapetyan <pe...@datafundamentals.com>.

Posted by Tom Huybrechts <to...@gmail.com>.
 Take a look at your java network settings too - maybe that has a proxy
configured ?

Tom

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.

Posted by Pete Carapetyan <pe...@datafundamentals.com>.

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Try telnet repo1.maven.org 80

(or check the options if you are on Windows, I think specifying the
port is -p). Ping only means that you can reach that machine on a
particular protocol. If HTTP is forbidden on the way it won't help.

Anyway, back to the original question, I think that Maven can't do
much for you. It brings the original exception (the Java network
exception) which is good. I don't see how it could inspect your
network configuration.

Regards,
Stéphane

> [...]
> > > :430)
> > >
> > >        at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:375)
> > > Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.version.PluginVersionNotFoundException:
> > > The p
> > > lugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' does not exist or
> > > no val
> > > id version could be found
> > >        at
> > > org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePl
> > > uginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:229)
> > >        at
> > > org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePl
> > > uginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:91)
> > >        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyPlugin
> > > (DefaultPlug
> > > inManager.java:167)
> > >        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin

Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one,
you suck" -- S.Yegge

Re: an "mvn setup:diagnose" would be nice at times like this :)

Posted by Pete Carapetyan <pe...@datafundamentals.com>.

Posted by Tom Huybrechts <to...@gmail.com>.