Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Kaktu Chakarabati <ji...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/20 23:28:48 UTC

Caching filters inside bq clauses when using DisMax

Quick Question - are the filter queries used to create the document mask
inside bq clauses also cached using the filterCache?
this seems like an important optimization for sites that use bq heavily with
a small set of static boost selector filters..

thanks,
Chak

Re: Caching filters inside bq clauses when using DisMax

Posted by Jayson Minard <ja...@gmail.com>.
This seems wrong still.  It *does* make sense to cache the bq as a filter
since it is re-used every time you issue a new query through dismax.  The
query changes with every q parameter change so that query re-executes but
why do force each bq to execute again?  Keep it, and apply its boost where
it intersects.

Re: Caching filters inside bq clauses when using DisMax

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: got you. I thought perhaps the bq is first computed as a filter, e.g a
: bitmask over the entire corpus, and then intersected with results, in which

since the "bq" only affects teh scores of docs that alreayd match 9and
doesn't alter the result set in any way) there wouldn't really be much
point in caching a docset for it ... that doc set would never be
intersected or unioned with any other doc set.

-Hoss

Re: Caching filters inside bq clauses when using DisMax

Posted by Kaktu Chakarabati <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hoss,
got you. I thought perhaps the bq is first computed as a filter, e.g a
bitmask over the entire corpus, and then intersected with results, in which
case it would've been beneficial to cache that bitmask,
I guess thats not how it works..