Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Deepal Jayasekara <dp...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/05 16:22:53 UTC

Getting Memory Dump of a running VM on CloudStack

Can anyone explain or point me to some resources on how CloudStack performs
live migration of VMs with KVM? I need to know how the memory is taken as a
dump file and restored on another machine during migration. Can we
intercept and take the memory dump to store wherever we want? So that we
can restore the machine state later?. I need a similar solution because
CloudStack does not provide taking memory snapshots with KVM. Any resources
or explaination would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

*Deepal Jayasekara*
Undergraduate, Department Of Computer Science And Engineering
University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
<http://insiderattack.blogspot.com>*
<https://www.facebook.com/deepal.cse10>
<https://twitter.com/InfoSecPhantom>
<http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=127692449&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=Nn4Z&locale=en_US&srchid=1276924491381815604317&srchindex=1&srchtotal=1&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1276924491381815604317%2CVSRPtargetId%3A127692449%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary>

Re: Getting Memory Dump of a running VM on CloudStack

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.
It's not taken as a dump file. It uses the standard libvirt migration
where it connects to the libvirt daemon on the destination and streams
the state.

You should be able to take state snapshots of the vm manually like
you'd normally do with libvirt on the hypervisor (I'm sure there's a
virsh command), but restoring it in a way that CloudStack will like
would be a bit tricky. If you save off the XML and memory state, then
do a 'virsh create' to start the vm again, CloudStack should notice
the vm is up and sync up, but it requires that you really know what
you're doing.