Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Florian Müller <fm...@apache.org> on 2013/04/09 11:02:24 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Java 5 support

 Hi all,

 Today, OpenCMIS supports Java 5 and later. I'd like to discuss if we
 still need Java 5 support or if we can drop it.

 We have made a few compromises in OpenCMIS to support Java 5
 (especially around Web Services) and implemented stuff ourselves that is
 part of Java 6 and later (for example the cookie handling). Getting rid
 of the Java 5 support could simplify the OpenCMIS code base in a few
 places.

 Java 5 reached end of live in 2009. Do you feel that it is still
 relevant for OpenCMIS users?

 - Florian

RE: [DISCUSSION] Java 5 support

Posted by Jay Brown <ja...@us.ibm.com>.
Checking around on this...

Jay Brown
Senior Engineer, ECM Development
IBM Software Group
jay.brown@us.ibm.com

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
Hi Florian,

Dumping Java 5 for new releases of OpenCMIS is not a problem for us.

Florent

Posted by Greg Melahn <gr...@alfresco.com>.
This is to confirm we are OK with dropping V5 support.

Posted by Greg Melahn <gr...@alfresco.com>.

Posted by Jay Brown <ja...@us.ibm.com>.
Ok to drop v 5 from here.

Jay Brown
Senior Engineer, ECM Development
IBM Software Group
jay.brown@us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Florian Müller <fm...@apache.org>                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |<de...@chemistry.apache.org>,                                                                                                                       |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |04/09/2013 02:03 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

Posted by Carlo Sciolla <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

2013/4/9 Florian Müller <fm...@apache.org>

> Java 5 reached end of live in 2009. Do you feel that it is still relevant
> for OpenCMIS users?

I hate to ask for pulling the brake here, but Backbase for one is heavily
using OpenCMIS and can't afford to drop Java5 support quite yet. It would
be nice for us if you could retain support for it for now. We are already
discussing to remove Java5 from our supported stacks, but we still have
numerous customers in different sectors (banking, telco) with production
environments on Java5, so that the transition might be slow.

c.

--
Carlo Sciolla

Linux User #372086
My personal blog: http://www.skuro.tk
Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/skuro
<http://twitter.com/skuro>Fork me on Github: http://github.com/skuro
 <http://github.com/skuro>My LinkedIn profile:
http://nl.linkedin.com/in/carlosciolla

Product Lead at Backbase - Next Generation Portal Software for Financials &
Large Enterprises (http://www.backbase.com)