Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2007/01/10 23:14:24 UTC

Re: Introducing commons-skin

Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Boris Unckel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> yet another issue.
>
> <snip>
>
>> I had a look at the source and found XHTML transistional in the doctype.
>> Both http://validator.w3.org and http://www.validome.org say it is not
>> valid.
>> I think you know the tools, even when not, they are very easy to use
>> (I did not write: give good hint's for hunting the bugs).
>>
>> Regards
>> Boris
>
> This turned out to be trickier than I first thought, but here goes:
>
> 1. The xdocs for commons-lang are fine.
>
> 2. Rendering of links that include the &-character, even if they are
> properly encoded as &amp; in the xdoc source, seems to be broken. That
> is the &-character doesn't get escaped properly, resulting in invalid
> xhtml. This is filed as DOXIA-85 [1].

DOXIA-85 has been solved. Using a locally build version of Doxia I have
created a staged lang site with validating xhtml code:

   http://people.apache.org/~dennisl/commons-lang6/

> 3. The rendered documents include a css link to "css/site.css" - a file
> which doesn't exist, resulting in invalid css. This is filed as DOXIA-86
> [2].

This is an intended behavior, i.e the file is optional for the user to
put there, and I haven't been able to create a workaround for this. It
could be done in the velocity template like this:

if( the file css/site.css is available on the file system )
{
   import the css file
}

Unfortunately I don't know how to. Perhaps someone from the Velocity
project can help out with this?

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Introducing commons-skin

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> Boris Unckel wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> yet another issue.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I had a look at the source and found XHTML transistional in the doctype.
>>> Both http://validator.w3.org and http://www.validome.org say it is
>>> not valid.
>>> I think you know the tools, even when not, they are very easy to use
>>> (I did not write: give good hint's for hunting the bugs).
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Boris
>>
>> This turned out to be trickier than I first thought, but here goes:
>>
>> 1. The xdocs for commons-lang are fine.
>>
>> 2. Rendering of links that include the &-character, even if they are
>> properly encoded as &amp; in the xdoc source, seems to be broken. That
>> is the &-character doesn't get escaped properly, resulting in invalid
>> xhtml. This is filed as DOXIA-85 [1].
>
> DOXIA-85 has been solved. Using a locally build version of Doxia I have
> created a staged lang site with validating xhtml code:
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~dennisl/commons-lang6/
>
>> 3. The rendered documents include a css link to "css/site.css" - a
>> file which doesn't exist, resulting in invalid css. This is filed as
>> DOXIA-86 [2].
>
> This is an intended behavior, i.e the file is optional for the user to
> put there, and I haven't been able to create a workaround for this. It
> could be done in the velocity template like this:
>
> if( the file css/site.css is available on the file system )
> {
>   import the css file
> }
>
> Unfortunately I don't know how to. Perhaps someone from the Velocity
> project can help out with this?

I figured out a way to work around this issue, by adding an empty
site.css file to commons-skin.