Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Paul Newport <ne...@googlemail.com> on 2008/06/22 11:31:58 UTC

Plea for a forum

Looking through the mail archive, there was a thread asking for a
forum instead of a mailing list.

I've started looking at IVY recently and have had to subscribe at work
with my work email address, and at home with my home one, which is
somewhat frustrating.

Mailing lists may have been OK years ago, but I seriously believe you
are shooting yourselves in the foot by having a mailing list instead
of forum. Look at the forum used by the Spring Project, or the JBoss
crew, highly active, loads of users and traffic, easy to search, can
log in whether at home or at work.

Also some people's work IT managers like to monitor email traffic
(don't you love 'em) and frown upon constant emails coming in from a
mailing list.

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by pa...@targetgroup.net.

I do agree with Patrick on this one.

My main issue with mailing lists is that you get all the threads regardless
(hence the spam comment) and that the user interfaces of the archive
viewers is nowhere near as good as say the one used on the Spring forum.

The question was asked by the developers about a forum, so they muyst be
pondering it too. I do think you would get a lot more activity if there was
a forum, which is at the end of the day what we want.

Target
www.targetgroup.net

Target is a trading name of Target Group Limited,
registered in England and Wales No. 1208137
Registered office:  Target House, Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff CF11 9AU

DISCLAIMER.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy,
distribute or take any action or reliance upon it.
The content of this message may also contain personal
views of an employee of this company and does
not necessarily represent the view of the company.
This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-Virus.
It has also been scanned by MAILsweeper to enforce our e-mail
policy. If you have any concerns or comments about the content
of this message, please  e-mail support@targetgroup.net.

http://www.messagelabs.com

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Patrick Aikens <pa...@gmail.com>.
I like Drupal - I've used that for my personal site for quite a while, and
even though I'm abandoning it now I still think it's a good choice for
portal and community sites - there's just better options for personal
sites.  The included forum module was just a hacked up post/comment module,
though, and it hasn't improved...

So, I guess this is off-topic for the off-topic... :)

--
Frank Lloyd Wright  - "TV is chewing gum for the eyes."

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Patrick Aikens <pa...@gmail.com>.

--
WC Fields  - "I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally."

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Niklas Matthies <ml...@nmhq.net>.

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Patrick Aikens <pa...@gmail.com>.
IMAP seems a worse idea than a web interface - in addition to the problems I
mentioned before, you lose the ability to tag things easily and gain several
times the slowness.  Searching a large cache of e-mails via IMAP sounds like
a perfectly horrible idea (and indeed, in my experience it is - I moved a
large body of IMAP-accessible e-mail to GMail a couple of years ago to
improve speed, searching and archiving).  I do use Thunderbird at home,
sometimes, but I get more done faster with GMail's web interface when
dealing with my GMail account, and ditching the one-copy-in-a-folder
metaphor for the ability to simply label an e-mail with multiple tags was a
massive productivity improvement over my amazingly complex filter/folder
system when I was using IMAP-based hosts, not to mention the need to keep
several desktop apps in sync with regards to my filter rules.

I'm quite willing and interested to get some pointers on how to properly set
up Thunderbird in this context - anything to improve my ability to
participate, though it would only be from home mostly at that point and I
tend to ignore my computer at home (too much like work - 10 hours a day is
enough for me).  About all I ever do at home is visit a few of my favorite
forums for some idle chat... I think this is the most I've replied to any
mailing list thread since... ever, actually.

--
WC Fields  - "I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally."

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by pa...@targetgroup.net.

"A good e-mail software set up properly is
massively more effective in saving time using mailing lists than any
web forum software I've ever seen (or can imagine)."

I'll lend you my imagination then ;-)

Doesn't it make more sense to have one nicely searchable forum than
thousands of users all with their (partially complete) local cache of
emails all in their many and different email clients ? That cache

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Niklas Matthies <ml...@nmhq.net>.

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Patrick Aikens <pa...@gmail.com>.
Especially in GMail, your methods wouldn't work.  If I just want to find the
e-mail my friend Bob sent me last month sometime with the name of that
website I can't remember, just quickly searching for "Bob website" in the
GMail search bar would probably hit dozens/hundreds of archived mailing list
e-mails in addition to the one I want, regardless of using labels and
archiving.  If I DILLIGENTLY labelled every e-mail, I could restrict the
search to a given label.  WAY too much time managing my e-mail at that
point.  Life's too short to spend that many hours sorting and tagging
messages.  Yeah, I could register another GMail account, but now I have yet
another e-mail address to maintain - I already monitor too many as it is -
I'd probably never even see the messages anymore since I'd probably never
feel I had the time to look at it.  I hate the idea of mailing lists in
general - in a perfect world I would only want mail addressed DIRECTLY to me
and addressing ONLY me in the body sent to my e-mail account - it's for
personal messages only.  Right now I tend to ignore mailing list traffic out
of habit because of its volume.  This thread only caught my eye as my
hopefulness for a forum I could visit only when necessary or had time to
devote to it piqued my interest.

Speaking of time, I suppose I've already spent too much time on this
anyway.  My interest has already been answered - no forum, not likely in the
future.  Time to delete this thread and set up the kill filter for the
subject.

--
Frank Lloyd Wright  - "TV is chewing gum for the eyes."

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Niklas Matthies <ml...@nmhq.net>.

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Tom Widmer <to...@googlemail.com>.
Dan North wrote:
> Hi folks.

> list. That way you will have an indexed, searchable, threaded, web-friendly
> version of the mail list.
>
> I'll let the list know once it's live.

I'm already reading this using Thunderbird on news.gmane.org, and have
done so for some time. The newsgroup is
gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ivy.user.

Tom

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by st...@xmission.com.
People may also be interested in MarkMail, ivy-user is archived there
as well: http://markmail.org/search/?q=+list%3Aorg.apache.ant.ivy-user

+1 for keeping a mailing list. My reasons are most of the ones that've
already been stated -- tracking a bunch of mail lists is much easier
than registering within and following a bunch of different forums.

Google Group's interface seems like the best of both worlds -- it
appears to be a forum, but it's really backed by a mailing list.

-Steve

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Dan North <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi folks.

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Niklas Matthies <ml...@nmhq.net>.
On Mon 2008-06-23 at 15:19h, Shawn Castrianni wrote on ivy-user:
> 1. Don't most user forum implementations have an email feature so
> that you can ask to be sent email of any posts?  Everybody that
> likes email can register for email notifications while everybody
> that likes user forums can use the user forum directly.  The user
> forum will satisfy both preferences.

In theory, a web forum that doubles as a mailing list server would be
possible. (After all, sites like Nabble almost do something like that.)
But the e-mail notifications sent out by existing forum software do
not even come close to the functionality of a real mailing list.
Two of the deal-breakers are that they don't contain References or
In-Reply-To headers that would allow the e-mail client to show a
threaded view, and they don't allow direct replies to either the forum
or the message author. There are other issues, but these are the most
important ones.

> 2. Why should everyone archive all the messages themselves
> duplicating and wasting disk space when it could be done in one
> place by the owner's of the user forum database?

Everyone doesn't have to, but they can if they prefer to.

Regarding the wasting of disk space: I have an archive of fourteen
years worth of mailing list mails that only takes up roughly 2GB.
Plain-text mails really don't consume that much space.

> 3. If the worry is that the owner of the user forum database will go
> away and all of the messages are lost, then the same worry happens
> if relying on other mailing lists archival sites when they go away.

That's correct.

> 4. I would think a quality product would provide a means to transfer
> the user forum database to someone else rather than just pulling the
> plug.

I've experienced several cases of "pulling the plug" or just resetting
with some new forum software, of leaving the archive at the old site
(so you had to search in multiple places) and of attempting to transfer
the data from one forum software to another but corrupting it in some
subtle or less subtle ways in the process. In theory it's certainly
possible, but in practice I wouldn't want having to rely on it.

-- Niklas Matthies

RE: Plea for a forum

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by DuckPuppy <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:03 AM,
> <pa...@targetgroup.net> wrote:
>

> > "For what it's worth, I'm pretty much in favour of
> mailing lists, and
> > in my ever so humble opinion I'm not a dinosaur,
> I'm quite the
> > hipster. For me the main argument is as stated -
> being able to track
> > lots of lists simultaneously. GMail does this
> excellently - I have a
> > special account which I only use for mailing
> lists, all mail gets
> > tagged when it comes in and optionally archived
> immediately"
> >
> > This may well be, but completely useless for those
> of us who do not have
> > access to web mail from work. THis is why we need
> a forum.
> >
> > Last comment on the thread, up to the IVY guys now
> to decide.
>
> Not really, Ivy being a project of the ASF, we have
> to follow the ASF rules.
> And the ASF is clear on the subject [1]:
> "Communication is done via mailing
> lists."

Thank you, Xavier.  I was just about to post a link to
http://www.apache.org/foundation/mailinglists.html,
but your link is actually a little clearer.

> That being said, I also like the mailing lists for
> reasons listed by others.
> IMO tools like google group offer the best of both
> worlds. But maybe the
> best would simply be mail 2.0 [2] [3]

One would really think that between Nabble and
Markmail all the other arguments against mailing lists
are moot.  Markmail is really nice.

-Matt

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#communication

http://www.jroller.com/robertburrelldonkin/entry/mail2_0_smtp_vs_blogging

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Jose Noheda <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 to mailing lists

Glassfish implements a nice feature though where you can post in the forum
or the mailing list and it's available to both. so you end having the best
of both worlds

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Colin Fleming <co...@gmail.com>.
For what it's worth, I'm pretty much in favour of mailing lists, and
in my ever so humble opinion I'm not a dinosaur, I'm quite the
hipster. For me the main argument is as stated - being able to track
lots of lists simultaneously. GMail does this excellently - I have a
special account which I only use for mailing lists, all mail gets
tagged when it comes in and optionally archived immediately. It
basically enables me to turn a mailing list into a forum, whereas the
opposite is almost never possible.

As for being a means to achieve more traffic - maybe, I'm not sure.
I'd hate to see the traffic here split between a forum and the list,
because then I'd have to check both, and realistically it would
greatly reduce my chances of seeing any particular message.

Cheers,
Colin

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Matthias Kilian <ki...@outback.escape.de>.

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Patrick Aikens <pa...@gmail.com>.
Not really - personally, I dislike Nabble greatly.  Terrible interface.  I'm
one of the ones who would prefer a forum to the mailing list - mailing lists
are just a dead method of collaboration.  I fail to see anything that sets a
mailing list above a forum, unless it's to feed the laziness or
forgetfulness of people who have to have the topics come to them instead of
the other way around.  I have GMail, and it's certainly not a replacement
for a decent forum - even with it's unlimited space, it's just silly to
think that ALL the Ivy users with GMail or an IMAP account should store
their own local cache of messages so they can search them later.  I clean
out all mailing list traffic on a regular basis - I don't have any Ivy
mailing list posts more than a week old.  I don't want it cluttering up hits
in my personal mail when I search it, and I certainly don't want to have to
include search modifiers EVERY time I search my mail to omit all the mailing
lists.  I'll fall back on *shudder* Nabble if I need them again.

--
SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0

Re: Plea for a forum

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Paul Newport <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Web mail is blocked at work ; ...so I do have to have two accounts.
Asking the question about fora in here though is bound to be a bit
skewed, because a lot of the fora fans will have not even bothered to
join the mailing list.

I am now going to unsubscribe for the weekend so that I don't get
spammed twice but the mailing list :-)

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Jim White <ji...@pagesmiths.com>.
I prefer forums myself because they can have good archive support.

But having been involved with OSS development for a long time I'm very
aware that most core developers prefer to deal with email and simply use
good (or at least familiar) tools to manage the complexity.

I'm fairly certain the reason forums are refused by many is because each
one has a different interface and when you're dealing with as many as a
dozen or two lists the prospect of using a different UI for each one is
appalling.

But just because there is a mailing list doesn't mean you can't have a
forum-style web interface.  There are several web services that turn
public mailing lists into web forums.  Nabble, Mail-archive, and
MarkMail cover many lists including ivy-user.

http://www.nabble.com/ivy-user-f18383.html

http://markmail.org/browse/org.apache.ant.ivy-user

As for the email account home/work problem, just get a GMail account for
that purpose and that will turn any mailing list into a web forum.

Jim

RE: Plea for a forum

Posted by "Brown, Carlton" <Ca...@compucredit.com>.
I'm kind of neutral on the issue, but it's worth noting that a forums
are also fairly prone to getting blocked by modern content proxies,
which are much more sophisticated at detecting and blacklisting any form
of online communications.

I just register a gmail address in addition to my corporate address.
Corporate is what I use for communication, the gmail is for searching,
online archival, and POP retrieval if necessary.  Gmail is much better
suited for this purpose than Nabble and other mediocre mail aggregators,
IMO.

Re: Plea for a forum

Posted by Matthias Kilian <ki...@outback.escape.de>.
On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:31:58AM +0100, Paul Newport wrote:
> I've started looking at IVY recently and have had to subscribe at work
> with my work email address, and at home with my home one, which is
> somewhat frustrating.

Get a mail account with web access, or some IMAP account. Or use
one of the fine mailing list archives for reading and searching.

> Mailing lists may have been OK years ago, but I seriously believe you
> are shooting yourselves in the foot by having a mailing list instead
> of forum. Look at the forum used by the Spring Project, or the JBoss
> crew, highly active, loads of users and traffic, easy to search, can
> log in whether at home or at work.

Web forums are just inefficient and dictate the way you're using them.

> Also some people's work IT managers like to monitor email traffic
> (don't you love 'em) and frown upon constant emails coming in from a
> mailing list.

Those people shouldn't be called IT managers. Blocking their own
developers, build managers, etc. from accessing valuable technical
resources on the net (be it email, be it the web) is so incredibly
stupid. A company with such a management *deserves* to have no
success at all.

Ciao,
	Kili