Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2012/12/20 03:19:46 UTC

[Math] Request for future releases: kill Cobertura

Hello.

The situation with "Cobertura" is fairly annoying, perhaps particularly so
for Commons Math because of the size of the code base (and thus the fairly
large number of unit tests).

As it just happened, a few minor problems have now delayed the release by
several days because I have to wait about 4 hours for the site generation
to complete (on a _fast_ machine).
Hence the request to remove Cobertura from the "site" target, or at least
from the "site:stage-deploy" step, so that a new vote can take place as soon
as a problem is fixed.
[I would even argue that it is not that useful to include Cobertura in the
release process because the amount of code coverage is not acted upon (i.e.
low coverage would not block a release IIUC).]

Do you agree?
If so, can we change that for Commons Math only, or should this be done at
the "parent" level? Is is just a matter of adding
  <cobertura.skip>true</cobertura.skip>
in a new profile?

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Math] Request for future releases: kill Cobertura

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:18:21AM +0100, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM, Gilles Sadowski <
> gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > The situation with "Cobertura" is fairly annoying, perhaps particularly so
> > for Commons Math because of the size of the code base (and thus the fairly
> > large number of unit tests).
> >
> > As it just happened, a few minor problems have now delayed the release by
> > several days because I have to wait about 4 hours for the site generation
> > to complete (on a _fast_ machine).
> > Hence the request to remove Cobertura from the "site" target, or at least
> > from the "site:stage-deploy" step, so that a new vote can take place as
> > soon
> > as a problem is fixed.
> > [I would even argue that it is not that useful to include Cobertura in the
> > release process because the amount of code coverage is not acted upon (i.e.
> > low coverage would not block a release IIUC).]
> >
> > Do you agree?
> > If so, can we change that for Commons Math only, or should this be done at
> > the "parent" level? Is is just a matter of adding
> >   <cobertura.skip>true</cobertura.skip>
> > in a new profile?
> >

> Hi,
>
> The problem with the cobertura tests comes mainly from the performance
> tests for FastMath afaik.

Those are not automatically run (because the class name does not end with
"...Test").
The longest-running test is "BOBYQAOptimizerTest".

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sébastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org>.
Hi Gilles,

2012/12/20 Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>

> Hello.
>
> The situation with "Cobertura" is fairly annoying, perhaps particularly so
> for Commons Math because of the size of the code base (and thus the fairly
> large number of unit tests).
>
> As it just happened, a few minor problems have now delayed the release by
> several days because I have to wait about 4 hours for the site generation
> to complete (on a _fast_ machine).
> Hence the request to remove Cobertura from the "site" target, or at least
> from the "site:stage-deploy" step, so that a new vote can take place as
> soon
> as a problem is fixed.
> [I would even argue that it is not that useful to include Cobertura in the
> release process because the amount of code coverage is not acted upon (i.e.
> low coverage would not block a release IIUC).]
>
> Do you agree?
> If so, can we change that for Commons Math only, or should this be done at
> the "parent" level? Is is just a matter of adding
>   <cobertura.skip>true</cobertura.skip>
> in a new profile?
>
> Theoretically, yes [1]. However, when I run mvn site:site
-Dcobertura.skip=true, I get an error at the generation of the reports.
My config is
Apache Maven 2.2.1 (r801777; 2009-08-06 21:16:01+0200)
Java version: 1.7.0_05
Java home: /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_05/jre
Default locale: fr_FR, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux" version: "3.6.9-2.fc17.x86_64" arch: "amd64" Family: "unix"

I also tested with maven 3
Apache Maven 3.0.4 (r1232337; 2012-01-17 09:44:56+0100)
Maven home: /opt/apache-maven-3.0.4
Java home: /usr/java/jdk1.7.0_05/jre
OS name: "linux", version: "3.6.9-2.fc17.x86_64", arch: "amd64", family:
"unix"

and get the same error

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.0:site (default-cli) on
project commons-math3: failed to get report for
org.codehaus.mojo:cobertura-maven-plugin: Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.12:test (default-test) on
project commons-math3: Error occurred in starting fork, check output in log
-> [Help 1]

This is probably a bug in the cobertura plugin, can anyone confirm?

A long time ago, I finally ended up killing --as you suggested-- the
cobertura lines in my local copy of the parent pom. This is uggly, but
works.
I don't know mvn well enough, but maybe we could define cobertura as
optional in the parent pom, and activate it by default in the parent. Would
that be doable (using properties)?

Sébastien

[1] http://mojo.codehaus.org/cobertura-maven-plugin/instrument-mojo.html

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/12/21 Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>:
> On 12/21/12 10:53 AM, Sébastien Brisard wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> 2012/12/21 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>
>>
>>> -Dcobertura.skip=true ?
>>> or in pom.properties
>>> <cobertura.skip>true</cobertura.skip>
>>>
>>> I agree with Phil, both options lead to strange error messages (see my
>> post above). Should it be considered as a bug of the cobertura plugin?

This one is a bit special as it fork a lifecycle but due to the skip
option the forked lifecycle is not complete so the error below.
I don't have any workaround to prevent that.
So the best is to remove the plugin

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sébastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
-Dcobertura.skip=true ?
or in pom.properties

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sébastien Brisard <se...@m4x.org>.
Hi Luc,

2012/12/20 luc <lu...@spaceroots.org>

> Le 2012-12-20 15:01, Phil Steitz a écrit :
>
>  On 12/19/12 6:19 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>

> Hi all,
>

>>> The situation with "Cobertura" is fairly annoying, perhaps particularly
>>> so
>>> for Commons Math because of the size of the code base (and thus the
>>> fairly
>>> large number of unit tests).
>>>
>>> As it just happened, a few minor problems have now delayed the release by
>>> several days because I have to wait about 4 hours for the site generation
>>> to complete (on a _fast_ machine).
>>> Hence the request to remove Cobertura from the "site" target, or at least
>>> from the "site:stage-deploy" step, so that a new vote can take place as
>>> soon
>>> as a problem is fixed.
>>> [I would even argue that it is not that useful to include Cobertura in
>>> the
>>> release process because the amount of code coverage is not acted upon
>>> (i.e.
>>> low coverage would not block a release IIUC).]
>>>
>>> Do you agree?
>>>

>> +1
>>
>>> If so, can we change that for Commons Math only, or should this be done
>>> at
>>> the "parent" level? Is is just a matter of adding
>>>   <cobertura.skip>true</**cobertura.skip>
>>> in a new profile?
>>>

>> This is an argument that we have from time to time.  IMO the parent
>> should contain a minimal set of plugins and component POMs should
>> explicitly include the ones they want.  I would be +1 for dropping
>> Coberta from the parent pom.
>>

> I will play devils advocate. Cobertura is really useful and provides useful
> information. It also clearly help popularizing [math] as we can prove it is
> a well tested component. So I don't agree removing it totally.
>
> However, I agree it has become really annoying mainly due to its very poor
> performances with respect to Bobyqa tests. It really takes hours to perform
> all site generation. Gilles spoke about 4 hours on a fast machine, but my
> home computer is not fast and it takes much longer to me. When I want to do
> a full generation, I let it run overnight.
>
> So if another mean to have the same information is available (or to make
> cobertura run faster, especially for the bobyqa test), then I would
> be glad to drop cobertura. If there are no other means, I would not be
> glad.
>
> If bobyqa is the main culprit, maybe we could exclude it from the coverage
report [1]. From what I understand, the current implementation of BOBYQA
does not reach our standards anyway...

We could at least define a profile in which the most critical classes are
excluded. People who currently work on these classes can include them in
the coverage report on demand, and the whole set of classes is included
only to generate the online website.

> I would prefer than the output from the test coverage would end up in the
> public
> site. Even if only the current trunk is covered, that would be sufficient
> for
> my needs, so if some existing continuous integration system can be set up,
> I'm
> fine with that. Note that we really need to get information down to line
> of code
> level, as it is the only way we can extend tests. The cobertura report is
> really
> nice for that as it directly provides colored versions of the source code
> which
> are really easy to use for the developer.

I think we all agree that this is a very useful report. However, it
currently takes so long to generate that I totally disabled it (and I
suspect others, too...).

Sébastien

> best regards,
> Luc

[1]
http://mojo.codehaus.org/cobertura-maven-plugin/usage.html#Instrumentation

Re: [Math] Request for future releases: kill Cobertura

Posted by luc <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Le 2012-12-20 15:01, Phil Steitz a écrit :
> On 12/19/12 6:19 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
>> Hello.

Hi all,

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/19/12 6:19 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> Hello.
>
> The situation with "Cobertura" is fairly annoying, perhaps particularly so
> for Commons Math because of the size of the code base (and thus the fairly
> large number of unit tests).
>
> As it just happened, a few minor problems have now delayed the release by
> several days because I have to wait about 4 hours for the site generation
> to complete (on a _fast_ machine).
> Hence the request to remove Cobertura from the "site" target, or at least
> from the "site:stage-deploy" step, so that a new vote can take place as soon
> as a problem is fixed.
> [I would even argue that it is not that useful to include Cobertura in the
> release process because the amount of code coverage is not acted upon (i.e.
> low coverage would not block a release IIUC).]
>
> Do you agree?

+1

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/12/20 Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>:
> 2012/12/20 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>
>
>> 2012/12/20 Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>:
>> > What about a sonar instance for commons?
>>
>> I have discussed this on an other thread.
>> FYI I have just added 4 sub projects. Result here
>> https://analysis.apache.org/components/index/121254
>

> Yes, I was thinking about your post :-)
> I don't know Sonar very well. What exactly is it monitoring? The trunk?
> Is there a possibility to add reporting for release tags?
only trunk currently.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 09:46:56AM +0100, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> 2012/12/20 Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>:
> > What about a sonar instance for commons?
>
> I have discussed this on an other thread.
> FYI I have just added 4 sub projects. Result here
> https://analysis.apache.org/components/index/121254
>
> It's just a matter of adding more in this pom:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/trunks-proper/pom.xml

Yes; thanks for the proposal.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Also, is it faster with Clover or Emma? We have an ASF license for Clover.

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.