Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/23 17:32:20 UTC

jclouds support for CloudStack

Hi all,

We are keen users of and contributors to jclouds [1], including for the
CloudStack integration.

For those who don't know it, Apache jclouds is the leading java cloud
portability library, used by a lot of companies and several Apache
projects including Brooklyn (for which I'm a lead) and Stratos.

Would anyone in the CloudStack community be interested in helping out
with updating and improving the jclouds integration? Unfortunately the
jclouds CloudStack code hasn't had as much attention as it deserves over
the past couple of releases.

I just targeted Exoscale [2] (i.e. CloudStack 4.3) for the jclouds live
test suite, and got a range of failures. There are some concrete tasks
that can come out of this:

  * Ability to automatically skip inappropriate tests - e.g. if only
    basic networking is available, then report the advanced networking
    tests as skipped rather than failed.
    (This could use the API Discovery [3])
  * Investigate other failures, to make the test suite more robust (or
    potentially to find regressions in CloudStack).
  * Extend the jclouds integration for more recent API features (e.g.
    for API Discovery [3])
  * Improve the publicity and documentation for jclouds CloudStack -
    e.g. it's not even mentioned in [4]

It's also worth noting that the jclouds live test suite is a great
regression test suite that could be run at least once on every
CloudStack release. For example, it would most likely spot regressions
such as CLOUDSTACK-6508 [5,6].

Aled

[1] jclouds.apache.org <http://jclouds.apache.org>
[2] www.exoscale.ch <http://www.exoscale.ch>
[3] http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/api/apidocs-4.3/user/listApis.html
[4] https://jclouds.apache.org/guides/
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-6508
[6] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-557

Re: jclouds support for CloudStack

Posted by Aled Sage <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

First apologies for letting this conversation go cold!

As Sebastian notes, the jclouds dev mailing list is the best place to
continue discussions.

I've created some jclouds issues to capture some CloudStack related
work. In particular, "CloudStack guide missing" would be a quick win and
a good way into getting involved with jclouds.

    JCLOUDS-722 - Gaps in CloudStack 4.x API coverage
    <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-722>
    JCLOUDS-723 - CloudStack createNodesInGroup fails for service
    providers with locked down APIs
    <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-723>
    JCLOUDS-724 - CloudStack live tests: skip instead of fail if feature
    not available <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-724>
    JCLOUDS-725 - CloudStack guide missing
    <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-725>

There are a number of other CloudStack related issues which one can find
by searching https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS

Aled

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Great,