Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Victor B. Gonzalez" <ap...@vbgunz.com> on 2003/05/26 12:25:02 UTC

[users@httpd] Installing and configuring Apache2 to work with *Subst* Directories...

Hello Apache,

  I've spent more than 5 hours on the task and I no doubt feel the
  answer is beyond me... I would like to install Apache2 to a subst
  virtual drive (Z:\) and get it to work!

  The real path is
  D:/Program Files/Server_Tools/Apache Group/Apache2/

  The Subst is
  Z:/Apache2/

  I currently have 2 .cmd files located in the Apache Group
  directory...

  Create_Z_Directory.cmd
  ----------
  cd /
  subst z: .
  ----------

  Kill_Z_Directory.cmd
  -----------
  subst z: /d
  -----------

  Though I created the Z:/ drive prior to installing Apache and
  examined the Apache Conf for a perfect match, I cannot start Apache
  with the -k start switch...

  I tried so many different variations to Create_Z_Directory.cmd it
  would be pretty exhaustive to list them all but heres a few...

  --------------
  set /
  cd /
  set /*
  cd /*
  cd D:/Program Files/Server_Tools/Apache Group/Apache2
  cd D:/Program Files/Server_Tools/Apache Group/Apache2/
  cd D:/Program Files/Server_Tools/Apache Group/Apache2/*
  cd /forgetaboutit/
  --------------

  I checked the Conf and read something about Lockfile, I visited the
  site for a better explaination and it led me to an AcceptMutex link
  but it baffled me even more...

  I seen it could be done and is what attracted me to Apache so I
  searched the Google groups, but came up empty, I even searched the
  net but mostly ran circles...

  Can someone please be kind enough to help me out with this?

  Thank you for reading my question

--
Best regards,
 Victor B. Gonzalez

Apache_2.0.45-win32-x86-no_ssl
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1

Re[2]: [users@httpd] Installing and configuring Apache2 to work with *Subst* Directories...

Posted by "Victor B. Gonzalez" <ap...@vbgunz.com>.
Hello Laurent,

>> An OS server helps to keep everything GPL and a subst drive helps to
>> keep everything in order across all or most win platforms.

LB> Ok, that's a good enough reason, sorry for my curiosity ;-)

LB> My first thought would be that there is no subst in the context in which
LB> apache starts. Is it installed as a service?

Yes. I manually installed the service ">Apache -k Install" and it
worked without problems or errors...

LB> What you could do is replace all occurrences of the subst directory by
LB> the real directory in your httpd.conf (easy with vim :-) and check if it
LB> works like that (to be sure your install is clean).
LB> Then, start changing all those occurrences back, starting with the less
LB> impirtant (the web directories).
LB> At least, you should get something in the logs, that could help.

I did manage to convert every path referencing the subst drive to map
back to its original location. At first it didn't work (I had to
uninstall the service) I reinstalled it, and started it... It works.

I really wish running Apache on a subst was easy... If not their no
doubt have to be a work around... Example: Setup Apaches conf to be
relative to itself and maybe look to the Z:/drive for something else?

I am really tired but will be back to work on this as serious as a
heart attack once my nap is up... Thank you for your time Blune. I
look forward to brainstorming on this one...

Positive! Thank you all very much :)

Re: [users@httpd] Installing and configuring Apache2 to work with *Subst* Directories...

Posted by Laurent Blume <la...@infores.com>.
Victor B. Gonzalez wrote:
> An OS server helps to keep everything GPL and a subst drive helps to
> keep everything in order across all or most win platforms.

Ok, that's a good enough reason, sorry for my curiosity ;-)

> Sorry, for the mistake, I've gotten into the bad habit from finding
> myself editing php and perl scripts and always using the forward slash
> :)

Well, it clearly depends on the context :-)
I'm sure it doesn't work in a Windows script, but you could use them in
Java on Windows with no problem.

> If you're referring to the logs inside Apache2/logs then theirs only
> one log with content. It is the *install* log and it reads...
[snip]
> Using the command line switch to install the service always works but
> starting it is the problem. It doesn't start and doesn't leave any
> errors in the error log... Through the cmd prompt it seems to start
> fine...
>
> The only error I do see is when I try starting the server in the
> Windows Service Manager. The error reads:
>
> "Could not start the Apache2 service on Local Computer (I am the only
> admin on the box) Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

My first thought would be that there is no subst in the context in which
apache starts.
Is it installed as a service?

What you could do is replace all occurrences of the subst directory by
the real directory in your httpd.conf (easy with vim :-) and check if it
works like that (to be sure your install is clean).
Then, start changing all those occurrences back, starting with the less
impirtant (the web directories).
At least, you should get something in the logs, that could help.

Laurent

Re[4]: [users@httpd] Installing and configuring Apache2 to work with *Subst* Directories...

Posted by "Victor B. Gonzalez" <ap...@vbgunz.com>.
Hello WC,

>> "Could not start the Apache2 service on Local Computer (I am the only
>> admin on the box) Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

WSJ> Don't you feel the Z drive must be mounted and available at all times?
WSJ> When your script finishes it [the drive] is likely unmounted...

I was thinking if I could just get Apache to work on the subst drive
I'll aim to complete a very basic script which would launch the
creation of the drive *before* invoking the launch of the server...

Also a special .cmd file should be created to kill the server then
kill the Z:\ drive...

WSJ> Have you done this with other Apache installs and did those drives stay
WSJ> mounted?

Actually I never worked with Apache. I've been working with a pretty
popular GUI server and never had to manually edit its configuration
file... But, I've found myself editing the php.ini and the http.conf
looks somewhat similar... I will give Apache a try...

I even tried the "net use" command but Apache still seems to have a
problem starting up... I know the answer is out there and I'll get to
it, hopefully soon enough, I just need a little insight :)

Thank you for your time Jones, your help is surely appreciated :)

Re: Re[2]: [users@httpd] Installing and configuring Apache2 to work with *Subst* Directories...

Posted by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org>.
[I choose to respond to this post,
never mind about my question of why
can't you use the 'real' drive]

See below -

On Monday, May 26, 2003, at 09:25  AM, Victor B. Gonzalez wrote:
... parts edited out ...
> Duplicated Z:/Apache/conf/mime.types.default
>  to Z:/Apache/conf/mime.types
> Successfully removed Z:\Apache\conf\InstallConf.awk

> "Could not start the Apache2 service on Local Computer (I am the only
> admin on the box) Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

Don't you feel the Z drive must be mounted and available at all times?
When your script finishes it [the drive] is likely unmounted...

Have you done this with other Apache installs and did those drives stay
mounted?

???

http://insecurity.org/
_Sx____________________
  ('>    iudicium ferat
  //\   Have Computer -
  v_/_    Will Hack...

               \|/ ____ \|/
               "@'/ .. \`@"
               /_| \__/ |_\
                  \__U_/

Re[2]: [users@httpd] Installing and configuring Apache2 to work with *Subst* Directories...

Posted by "Victor B. Gonzalez" <ap...@vbgunz.com>.
Hello Laurent,

LB> Well, first, an obvious question :-)
LB> Why do you need to use "subst" at all?
LB> I don't see how it can help...

I've been working long and hard with a proprietary server combining
some OS scripts to work together in harmony... I've managed to create
a perfect all in one drop package but the proprietary license is
holding me back.

An OS server helps to keep everything GPL and a subst drive helps to
keep everything in order across all or most win platforms.

LB> If Windows XP is anything like Windows 2000 (or DOS, for that matter),
LB> forward slash won't do for command line.
LB> You should use backslashes in your scripts.
LB> But that's not Apache's problem anyway :-)

Sorry, for the mistake, I've gotten into the bad habit from finding
myself editing php and perl scripts and always using the forward slash
:)

LB> Could you please provide a sample from Apache's error log?

If you're referring to the logs inside Apache2/logs then theirs only
one log with content. It is the *install* log and it reads...

Installing Apache HTTP 2.0 server with
 DomainName =  VALUED-2CAD4949
 ServerName =  VALUED-2CAD4949
 ServerAdmin = admin@VALUED-2CAD4949
 ServerPort =  8080
 ServerRoot =  Z:/Apache
Rewrote Z:/Apache/conf/httpd-win.conf
 to Z:/Apache/conf/httpd.default.conf
Successfully removed Z:\Apache\conf\httpd-win.conf
Duplicated Z:/Apache/conf/httpd.default.conf
 to Z:/Apache/conf/httpd.conf
Duplicated Z:/Apache/conf/ssl.default.conf
 to Z:/Apache/conf/ssl.conf
Duplicated Z:/Apache/conf/magic.default
 to Z:/Apache/conf/magic

Posted by Laurent Blume <la...@infores.com>.

Posted by "Victor B. Gonzalez" <ap...@vbgunz.com>.
Hello WC,

>>   answer is beyond me... I would like to install Apache2 to a subst
>>   virtual drive (Z:\) and get it to work!

WSJ> Maybe I am not awake yet -- why can you not use "Real" drive D ???

WSJ> IIRC virtual drive setting should be left for locking in FTP users and
WSJ> not http requests...

Thanks for your interest. I didn't wish to repost a message I made
earlier about this issue but I wish to provide you with a link direct
to the archived message.

I am not too sure about how this mailing list works and if anyone goes
crazy seeing the same message over and over again...

If you ask I will post it back to the thread or you could find it as I
made it back earlier about Ten minutes ago to a member by the name of
Laurent Blume.

Thank you for your interest in this issue and if you know something
which can help me I would surely appreciate some insight about it.

Take care :)

Posted by WC -Sx- Jones <li...@insecurity.org>.
On Monday, May 26, 2003, at 06:25  AM, Victor B. Gonzalez wrote:

>   answer is beyond me... I would like to install Apache2 to a subst
>   virtual drive (Z:\) and get it to work!
>
>   The real path is
>   D:/Program Files/Server_Tools/Apache Group/Apache2/

Maybe I am not awake yet -- why can you not use "Real" drive D ???

IIRC virtual drive setting should be left for locking in FTP users and
not http requests...

???/Sx ?

http://insecurity.org/
  ('>    iudicium ferat