Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Renaud Richardet <re...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/28 16:36:55 UTC

Ruta syntax simplifications?

Hello,

I have been using Ruta a lot lately, and it has made me much more
productive. Thanks to all the people that contributed to it!

I have been thinking about two small syntax simplifications and was
wondering if they would make sense:

A) Types declarations (2.5.1)

// Types with features may add a parent type in their declarations.

// *If no parent type is specified, Annotation is used as the implied
default parent type. *

// before

DECLARE Annotation MyAnnotation(STRING myFeature);

// after

DECLARE MyAnnotation(STRING myFeature);

B) Matching condition

// The matching condition of the rule element refers to the complete
document,

// or more specific to the annotation of the type “DocumentAnnotation”,
which covers the whole document.

// *If no matching rule is specified, the whole document
(DocumentAnnotation) is implicitely used. *

// before

Document{-> MARKFAST(Animal, 'Animals.txt')};

// after

MARKFAST(Animal, 'Animals.txt');

What do you think? Do they make sense? Would that introduce some
inconsistencies / ambiguity in the Ruta language? Would the implementation
be hard?

All the best, Renaud

Re: Ruta syntax simplifications?

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
btw, I will commit something to the documentation in the next hours. I
am metioning this just to avoid merge conflicts.

Best,

Peter

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

(the mailing lists obiously have some problems right now (at least
commits and dev). Let's see when this mail arrives.)

can you take a look at the current trunk and resolve the issues in case
everything works as expected?

Best,

Peter

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.