Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bill Wang <bw...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/24 04:27:11 UTC

Tomcat user roles

Hi Tomcat guru,

I have questions for the tomcat user roles setup.

On-call team (24*7 support)  need permission to restart one tomcat
services, if they get call.  I think it is maybe possible to let them
restart tomcat throught "Tomcat Web Application Manager" (the admin url
http://server:port/manager)

My request is, I can't give the admin username and password directly to
on-call team, admin account can not only restart the application, it can
deploy and undeploy applications, that's too dangerous.

So how can I setup the tomcat-users.xml or other config file to let on-call
team has only permission to restart that particular application, not else.

Regards,
Bill

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 25 Nov 2011, at 04:43, Bill Wang <bw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks, with your help, I find out this link:
> http://onjava.com/onjava/2001/07/24/tomcat.html,

2001!   :)

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by Bill Wang <bw...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to all for the explanation.

I have a new question regarding the admin role.

With default setup, if I login as admin, I can start,stop, undeploy and
deploy the application. Now, because the admin password has been shared by
team, and I can't not share it with team.

So I plan to disable undeploy and deploy function from the web admin URL
for the admin account. If anyone need deploy new version, they have to
login the Unix box to do it manually. With that I can trace and have
records easily.

So I edit the file webapps/manager/WEB-INF/web.xml, and remove all the xml
sessions for remove, install, undeploy, deploy and save. But after I
restart the tomcat server, *I still can deploy and undeploy*.

Something I missed?

part of tomcat-users.xml

  <role rolename="manager"/>
  <role rolename="tomcat"/>
  <role rolename="admin"/>
  <role rolename="role1"/>
  <role rolename="monitoring"/>
  <user username="admin" password="XXX" roles="admin,manager"/>
  <user username="monitoring" password="XXX" roles="monitoring"/>

Below are the lines I remove from the web.xml file.

  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Manager</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>/install</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Manager</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>/remove</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Manager</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>/deploy</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>Manager</servlet-name>
      <url-pattern>/undeploy</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>

      <url-pattern>/remove</url-pattern>
      <url-pattern>/deploy</url-pattern>
      <url-pattern>/undeploy</url-pattern>
      <url-pattern>/reload</url-pattern>

I don't find the admin part in web.xml.

Regards,
Bill

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by ma...@apache.org.

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by Bill Wang <bw...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for everyone who replied me. I successfully did it.

Now on-call team can stop/start the tomcat instances by themselves, but
with other action,such as deploy, undeploy, check server status, they will
get "access denied ".
*
*
That's perfect.

Here I have the last question, what's the reload option, is it same as
stop/start?

If it is, maybe I just need assign /html/reload to on-call team

Regards,
Bill

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Christopher Schultz <

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Bill,
>
> On 11/24/11 11:42 PM, Bill Wang wrote:
>> Thanks, with your help, I find out this link:
>> http://onjava.com/onjava/2001/07/24/tomcat.html, seems you need
>> me setup MemoryRealm,  then setup security constraint in
>> webapps/manager/WEB-INF/web.xml
>
> Wow, you didn't have any protection on your manager webapp? You
> should already have had some kind of Realm configured. If you
> already had a Realm configured, then you didn't need to enable
> MemoryRealm (which is mostly a toy for doing simple authentication
> kind of like htpasswd is for Apache httpd).
>
>> There is an exist role "manager" , I try to understand it and add
>> a new role "restart" in this web.xml, always get permission
>> deny.
>
> Post what you've got in your web.xml for <security-constraint> and
> <user-role> and we'll take a look.
>
>> So could you please give some instruction on how to setup below
>> URL to that role "restart" only?
>
>> http://hostname:8181/manager/html/stop?path=/APPNAME
>> http://hostname:8181/manager/html/start?path=/APPNAME
>
> You really need to read the servlet spec for an explanation of how
> to set up authorization in web.xml. Briefly, you're going to want
> something like this new <security-constraint> in your web.xml:
>
> <security-constraint> <web-resource-collection>
> <web-resource-name>Just Restarts through the Web
> UI</web-resource-name> <url-pattern>/html/restart</url-pattern>

There is no such command as restart. You'll need:
<url-pattern>/html/stop</url-pattern>
<url-pattern>/html/start</url-pattern>

You'll probably want:
<url-pattern>/html/list</url-pattern>
as well.

Mark

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by Bill Wang <bw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Thanks, with your help, I find out this link:
http://onjava.com/onjava/2001/07/24/tomcat.html, seems you need me setup
MemoryRealm,  then setup security constraint
in webapps/manager/WEB-INF/web.xml

There is an exist role "manager" , I try to understand it and add a new
role "restart" in this web.xml, always get permission deny.

So could you please give some instruction on how to setup below URL to that
role "restart" only?

http://hostname:8181/manager/html/stop?path=/APPNAME
http://hostname:8181/manager/html/start?path=/APPNAME

Regards,
Bill
On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 7:06 PM, <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> Bill Wang <bw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Tomcat guru,
> >
> >I have questions for the tomcat user roles setup.
> >
> >On-call team (24*7 support)  need permission to restart one tomcat
> >services, if they get call.  I think it is maybe possible to let them
> >restart tomcat throught "Tomcat Web Application Manager" (the admin url
> >http://server:port/manager)
> >
> >My request is, I can't give the admin username and password directly to
> >on-call team, admin account can not only restart the application, it
> >can
> >deploy and undeploy applications, that's too dangerous.
> >
> >So how can I setup the tomcat-users.xml or other config file to let
> >on-call
> >team has only permission to restart that particular application, not
> >else.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Bill
>
> You can create a new role in web.xml called restart and limit it to the
> list, start and stop commands since each command is part of the URL. Then
> you assign that role to a new user in your Realm.
>
> I'm on my phone so can't give an exact example. If that isn't enough info,
> I'm sure someone else can fill in the gaps for you.
>
> Mark

Re: Tomcat user roles

Posted by ma...@apache.org.