Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Randy Fox <ra...@connexity.com> on 2013/04/08 23:07:19 UTC

Scanner returning subset of data

I have a needle-in-the-haystack type scan.  I have tried to read all the
issues with ScannerTimeoutException and LeaseException, but do have not
seen anyone report what I am seeing.

Running 0.92.1-cdh4.1.1.  All config wrt to timeouts and periods are
default: 60s.

When I run a scanner that will return few results and my cache setting
is a bit too high for results to return in 60 seconds, i sometimes get a
subset of results (the last few returnable rows) and no exception.  it
may take a while to get those results.  Other times I get the
LeaseException, the ScannerTimeoutException, or the
RetriesExhaustedException. I can see throwExceptionIfCallerDisconnected
in RS logs.

The incorrect return set has me very concerned.  I can easily reproduce
this with my own code or hbase shell.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Randy Fox

RE: Scanner returning subset of data

Posted by Anoop Sam John <an...@huawei.com>.
Randy
As Ted suggested can you see the client logs closely (RS side also)?  Is there next() call retries happening from the client side because of RPC timeouts?
In such a case this kind of issue can happen.   I doubt he hit HBASE-5974

-Anoop-
0.92.1 is pretty old. Are you able to deploy newer release, e.g. 0.94.6.1
and see if the problem can be reproduced ?

Otherwise we have two choices:
1. write a unit / integration test that shows this bug
2. see more of the region server / client logs so that further analysis can
be performed.

Thanks

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.