Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "greg.harvey" <gh...@hotmail.com> on 2008/06/18 16:01:57 UTC

Weird session problems with JMeter and Drupal

Hi all,

I've been using JMeter for a while, via the Java GUI, and I have a
functional test I run which involves logging in to a Drupal website as an
admin user, editing another user's password and logging out again. I have
many Drupal installations on my computer, all set up in the same way - when
I run this test on most of them it works fine, but my latest project will
not keep hold of the server session.

JMeter logs in successfully, which is confirmed by a system message, but
when it navigates to the edit user form it gets a 403, access denied - but
this only happens on *one* of my installations. If I repeat the steps
manually in a browser, no problem. If I change the HTTP Request Defaults of
the test to point to a different project, the JMeter script works perfectly.
There is a HTTP Cookie Manager in "compatability" mode, which I have tried
in various other modes without success.

Does anyone know what might be causing this with just *one* Drupal
implementation over all the rest? It's killing me! I can't properly test
this application because somehow the session keeps getting dropped, but I
cannot work out why. I'm fairly sure it's *not* JMeter at fault here, but I
have no clue as to what might be the cause. =(

Re: Weird session problems with JMeter and Drupal

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18/06/2008, greg.harvey <gh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  I've been using JMeter for a while, via the Java GUI, and I have a
>  functional test I run which involves logging in to a Drupal website as an
>  admin user, editing another user's password and logging out again. I have
>  many Drupal installations on my computer, all set up in the same way - when
>  I run this test on most of them it works fine, but my latest project will
>  not keep hold of the server session.
>
>  JMeter logs in successfully, which is confirmed by a system message, but
>  when it navigates to the edit user form it gets a 403, access denied - but
>  this only happens on *one* of my installations. If I repeat the steps
>  manually in a browser, no problem. If I change the HTTP Request Defaults of
>  the test to point to a different project, the JMeter script works perfectly.
>  There is a HTTP Cookie Manager in "compatability" mode, which I have tried
>  in various other modes without success.
>
>  Does anyone know what might be causing this with just *one* Drupal
>  implementation over all the rest? It's killing me! I can't properly test
>  this application because somehow the session keeps getting dropped, but I
>  cannot work out why. I'm fairly sure it's *not* JMeter at fault here, but I
>  have no clue as to what might be the cause. =(

Me neither.

However, there are some things you can try.

Use Wireshark or similar to compare the JMeter session details with
browser session details.

Use JMeter Proxy to record the browser session.