Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "webmaster@oredelmondo.it" <we...@oredelmondo.it> on 2005/04/07 15:51:04 UTC

How to check if my Server is open for relay.

I'm not very expert in E-Mail server configuration.
I installed James on a Server and configured without problem,
My question is ho to verify if it is open window for spamming ?

Regards

Web mail

Posted by Bahman <ba...@online.no>.
Hei!

We have been using James for while and happy with it. Now I have been asked
about web mailing their accounts. Could anyone help on this?

Many Thanks
Bahman

Re: How to check if my Server is open for relay.

Posted by Ricardo Cortes <rc...@boltstaff.com>.
I use ZoneEdit.com's open relay test:

http://zoneedit.com/smtp.html

Posted by Daniel Perry <d....@netcase.co.uk>.
Set up an account on a computer that is not an 'authorised address' using
your server as the SMTP server, and do not enter any SMTP auth info. Try and
send an email to an account that is not hosted on the server.  If the server
relays the email then it is open!

Alternatively, have ORDB check it for you: http://www.ordb.org/submit/

Note that if they find it to be open, it will be listed in their database,
until it is retested and found to be ok.

Daniel.