Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Alex The Rocker <al...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/16 21:31:43 UTC

Frequency of Tomcat version updates in TomEE ?

Hello,

We are considering Apache TomEE+, but we are concerned by the lack of clear
update policy of Tomcat version in TomEE & TomEE+.
Today (16th of July 2012):
-  Apache TomEE(+) 1.0 is available with embedded Apache Tomcat 7.0.27
 - Apache Tomcat 7.0.29 is available since 8th of July.

Although there is no know security vulnerabilities in Tomcat 7.0.27, it
would be nice to have a clear statement on Apache TomEE/TomEE+ update
policy with regard to the components it embeds (and not only Apache Tomcat)
; so that users could decide whether or not they want to bed on this "new"
J2EE application server (yeah, we know it's J2EE with web profile).

A commitment to update TomEE & TomEE+ when an Apache Tomcat fix of security
vulnerabilities within very short time (<2 weeks) would clearly be nice, if
possible.

Regards,
Alex

Re: Frequency of Tomcat version updates in TomEE ?

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
i spoke about the snapshot which uses t7.0.29

- Romain

Posted by Alex The Rocker <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex The Rocker <al...@gmail.com>.
I guess a manual process will still be needed in order to turn any kind of
automated build into an official stable version, unless automated test are
covering 100% of potential regressions (wild dream, I guess:) ).

My question about TomEE / TomEE+ upgrade process is meant to (when it'll be
solved) make newcomers comfortable with TomEE / TomEE+.
Security isn't an option, and today's public pages aren't giving a clear
view of the relationships between TomEE / TomEE+ version and Tomcat version.

A first improvement could be to include a small version matrix of all
included components for a given TomEE / TomEE+ version
Another improvement could be to give a roadmap of version updates.

Alex

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
First, love the name :)