Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Prashant Hegde <pr...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/11 07:56:58 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache terminating child process

Hello

I am using

Apache -ver
Server version: Apache/1.3.31 (Win32)
Server built:   Feb 16 2005 14:32:36

- We have a web based user interface which keeps refreshing using a
java script remote scripting call to the server every 30 seconds.
- We found that after a couple of hours ( no standard pattern) the
refreshing stops.
- After making sure we dont have any issues with our code,  we enabled
the logs on Tomcat and Apache. We found that the apache is receiving
"master_main: Shutdown event signalled. Shutting the server down"

- Later we found the following in the apache error log

"forcing termination of child #0"

- This forces the client to go blank. The refresh does not happen any more.

We could reproduce this problem by continuously pounding the server
with multiple HTTP requests.

I have the following questions, and appreciate any help in this regard,

a) Under what conditions does this happen. ?
b) Is there some tweaking that I can do in the configuration file,
which will prevent this kind
of behavior. There were two configuration items which were related to
thiskind of problem.

MaxRequestPerChild
MaxThreadsPerChild

Do we need to tune this?
c) Is there a some kind of a timeout that is kicking in to avoid some
denial of service attacks ?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Regards,
Prashant