Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com> on 2019/01/22 03:45:29 UTC

Why CloudStack 5

I decided whether to write it several weeks thinking about the stones and
rotten potatoes, but still decided to do that. Hope it will not raise the
stress level.

Colleagues and ACS leaders, I would like to initiate the discussion. Why go
to CS5 rather than stay with 4.XX. Some thoughts are:

1. According to the versioning guide, the first number stands for radical
changes like if the community decided to go from current ORM to Hibernate.
I don't see the capabilities for such changes and there are no intentions
for the implementation.

2. I can realize that we 'stuck' with '4.XX' and the marketing can be
disappointing from that point of view. Then, OK, let's just skip the first
number "4." and release, ACS 13.X, 14.X, 15.X and so on. Every version will
receive new impressing version number and everyone could be happy about
that.

Going to version "5" currently looks like as an intention to refresh but
with very poor motivation. At least to me.

The discussion is strongly welcome.

--
With best regards, Ivan Kudryavtsev
Bitworks LLC

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Maybe it might be a good idea to keep 4.x for the version with no spec
which can be extended without regard for upward compatibility and start
a spec for 5.x. which would have some iron-clad rules about
compatibility and interface/API stability.

That way everyone could contribute to the version that they feel most
comfortable supporting.

Surely CS must be at a state by now where a really stable spec and API
could be documented in a short amount of time.
If there was a spec perhaps more developers would be able to contribute.
If the docs were simplified as a result of a cleaner spec, perhaps more
users would be able to get it implemented into production.

Even if it takes a few years to get a solid 5.0 out the door, it might
be worthwhile if that results in a product that can be marketed as a
mature product with clean rules for extensibility and customization.

In the meantime version 4 could be kept going if people want to keep
patching it and cleaning it up.

Every major software product reaches a point where the initial base and
layers of patches needs to be replaced by a version that is based on the
latest technology and development practices or it dies under its own weight.

 From the discussion, it may be that CS has reached that point and it
would be a lot less work to do a major rewrite than to clean out the
accumulated junk.

I am not a CS developer and I find it hard to believe that CS is not yet
a sufficiently mature product providing a well understood functionality
that a really solid stable spec can not be developed.

Ron

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Sven Vogel <S....@ewerk.com>.
Hi Guys,

That what I say to version 5.

I understand both people these they say version 5.0 is the right way or 4.XX. For a marketing men version 5 looks like a big deal but under the hood what’s really new? I know there are new features but what of them is a groundbreaking feature? For me its not important if there is a 5. Or a 4.XX version.

I see the the stability of the UI is one of the important things we have to do. Hey folks, a project with a good API but no working UI will not be a cloud environment. In the long run it will not be interesting for new people.

--My team and me will work in the next months make the jQuery UI better, add features and try to bug fix. I hope anybody will help. We started with any thing like jQuery library update and will go further. Normally we don’t need a new UI but we need to fix it and make it better.--

The things to do that are there. I know that any web frontend developer will say oooohhh „jQuery“ its very old lets use a newer thing. We know all that every year new features come new features and programming languages and everytime there come people they say why you use such a old …

A good UI is a working UI and one of the important things of a cloud environment! humans are visual! Not all but I think the most of them. Okay it should looks good and not so ugly but it should be working and let the people do the things they want to do. I worked with VMware vCloud and OpenStack too and I think the interface is not so bad. It needs some love :)

Thats what I think for a change from 4.X.X to 5.0.0

5.0.0 Is a Marketing hype and let people outside from cloudstack think there's something going on...
4.X.X is really without this marketing hype and I think the same like Ivan, what he wrote is the same what I think.

Maybe maybe you will find a compromise and make a 5.0.0 for the marketing hype let us do what we do now - cleanup, improving codebase, stabilize the existing functions and add new features!

I see the same like @Ivan.

@Wido

> SDNs (I know Wido is very into it) e.g. Cumulus infra support

Yes we use cumulus… great!

Sorry for my English.

Thanks Guys

__

Sven Vogel
Teamlead Platform

EWERK RZ GmbH
Brühl 24, D-04109 Leipzig
P +49 341 42649 - 11
F +49 341 42649 - 18
S.Vogel@ewerk.com
www.ewerk.com

Geschäftsführer:
Dr. Erik Wende, Hendrik Schubert, Frank Richter, Gerhard Hoyer
Registergericht: Leipzig HRB 17023

Zertifiziert nach:
ISO/IEC 27001:2013
DIN EN ISO 9001:2015
DIN ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011

EWERK-Blog | LinkedIn | Xing | Twitter | Facebook

Auskünfte und Angebote per Mail sind freibleibend und unverbindlich.

Disclaimer Privacy:
Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) ist vertraulich und nur für den Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der bestimmungsgemäße Empfänger sein, ist Ihnen jegliche Offenlegung, Vervielfältigung, Weitergabe oder Nutzung des Inhalts untersagt. Bitte informieren Sie in diesem Fall unverzüglich den Absender und löschen Sie die E-Mail (einschließlich etwaiger beigefügter Dateien) von Ihrem System. Vielen Dank.

The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any attachments) from your system. Thank you.

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Sven Vogel <S....@ewerk.com>.
Hi Guys,

@Wido

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Suresh Kumar Anaparti <su...@gmail.com>.

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Well, I'm glad the topic raised the discussion. That's great. My point is
very carefully explained by Rohit. It's not a new idea - CloudStack
community is small. Some features are abandoned and broken because of no
developers behind them. I bet certain features still not tested in 4.11.2
because nobody uses them. When the feature owning vendor leaves the support
it's no way just to remove the feature like Midonet as Rafael said.

When I started the career, people used Perl5 and everyone was happy, but
Larry Wall decided to go to Perl6... And who knows where the Perl now?
People don't want something new because it's just renovated. Frankly, I
don't believe that deep CloudStack redesign could be delivered by the
community. But I believe CloudStack could evolve gradually, introducing new
features and fixing bugs. I believe, that if there is no vendor for
something it should be wiped out to keep the code sane and low fat. I don't
think it's right to push plugins into the upstream codebase. I think that
ACS community must keep eye on better features design and every version
must include one properly designed and voted feature aside of small
improvements and fixes. I believe that PRs must be moderated not only from
the code sense but also from the point that code is reflected in design
documents and documentation.

I don't think CS5 (deep redesign) is even required by users. The code is
pretty good, it works well. Just don't want to think it could end as Perl6.

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Suresh Kumar Anaparti <su...@gmail.com>.

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.

Re: Why CloudStack 5

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
I'm in the favour of keeping the 4.x going because no API compatibility is broken, and as long as we are following semver there is no need. Calling a 4.x a 5.x just for the sake of bumping versions may cause some perception issue.

Removal of unsupported/poc/incomplete features, plugins including APIs should not constitute breaking of compatibility. Several network and hypervisor plugins are still in poc/incomplete/unmaintained state.

Unless the API layer, and perhaps DB layer is re-architected there is no point in calling the next version 5.x as long as semver is followed.

In my opinion, the next major version 5.0 should have a restful versioned API layer, a new DB+upgrade framework that may support multiple db servers, a new UI, sandboxed plugin framework (right now a plugin can do anything it wants to say the cloud db), a new agent-clustering framework (the current low level nio and rpc code goes away), a distributed message bus and locking service (that we thought to introduce in 4.2,4.3 but incomplete), and refactor the networking/VR layer with a new VR. Not to mention cleanup some technical debt. The keywords being major architectural and api/integrational changes. Some of this maybe on-going, but we'll get to 5.x with patience over time.

Regards,
Rohit Yadav

________________________________

Re: Why CloudStack 5