Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2014/11/01 00:35:23 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] removing Maven 3.1.1 from proposed downloads

I started improving documentation on toochains:
- in core [1]
- in m-toolchains-p [2]

feedback appreciated

next step is documenting how to create a custom toolchain: any pointer to some
working extra-toolchain (or even archetype, let's dream)?

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://maven.apache.org/ref/3-LATEST/maven-core/

[2] http://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-toolchains-plugin-LATEST/

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le samedi 1 novembre 2014 10:41:40 Dennis Lundberg a écrit :
> The xsd used needs to be added
> to the main Maven site in the xsd directory.
+1 didn't see it wasn't there
I just did it: http://maven.apache.org/xsd/

> There are currently 3 wiki pages used or referenced. One Codehaus page [1]
> that is linked from the plugin site which doesn't exist. One abandoned page
> at Codehaus [2] that has been superceeded by one at ASF when we moved the
> wiki. The corresponding page ar ASF Confluence is in the OLD supposedly
> unused wiki space [3]. In my opinion we need exactly one user-writable wiki
> page and it should be in ASF Confluence wiki space if possible.
+1

> [1] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Toolchains+Plugin
> [2] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Toolchains
> [3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVENOLD/Toolchains
>
> Information regarding support in plugins should be on the main Maven site,
> so that we can update it quickly when new plugins support it. The others
> should just link to that page. The current info on supporting plugins is...
> diverse. We need to move the correct info to the above mentioned page.
+1
I propose http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-using-toolchains.html

Regards,

Hervé

Re: [DISCUSS] removing Maven 3.1.1 from proposed downloads

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Op Sat, 01 Nov 2014 14:56:56 +0100 schreef Hervé BOUTEMY
<he...@free.fr>:

> Le samedi 1 novembre 2014 23:45:32 Mark Derricutt a écrit :
>> On 1 Nov 2014, at 22:41, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> > so that we can update it quickly when new plugins support it. The
>> others
>> > should just link to that page. The current info on supporting
> +1
> this could be the mini guide, transforming "Below are some plugins which
> are
> JDK-toolchain-aware" to a proper section intended to list which plugins
> are
> known to be JDK-toolchain-aware
>

>> For reference - my clojure-maven-plugin has supported it for ages now,
>> and I
>> think I rolled that over onto my frege-maven-plugin as well ( can't
>> remember if I did or not now ).
>>
>> I think it'd be good if maven shipped with a system/distro
>> toolchains.xml
>> that at least say, declared a "system" JDK chain pointing at say
>> $JAVA_HOME.
> great idea!
> will require MNG-3891, to have effective toolchains.xml after merging
> distro
> conf with user conf, like done with settings: should not be hard to do,
> just
> follow settings example
> and it will probably be useful to have a toolchains:effective-toolchains
> mojo
> to display the effective toolchains
>
> any volunteer?

I'll pick up the merger. Should also help me to understand how to generate
this with modello in the end.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

--
Mark Derricutt
http://www.theoryinpractice.net

Re: [DISCUSS] removing Maven 3.1.1 from proposed downloads

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I'm just starting to look at toolchains, with the goal of using Java 5 for
jobs in latest Jenkins LTS version.

Here are a few reflections from what I've read so far.

Great to have a toolchains reference. It is in core site where it belongs.
It needs to be expanded with more explanations though. We should link to
the reference from the plugin and the guide. The xsd used needs to be added
[...]

Having a downloadable working example project (zip), with clear
installation instructions, would be a great way for people to easily get
started with toolchains. I'll see if I can put one together as I explore
toolchains more.