Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2011/09/07 05:42:13 UTC

Branching for 0.92 [WAS -> Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal]

I'd like to propose branching friday week, the 16th.  Hopefully that
will might get folks to focus on these last outstanding issues (of
which there are quite a few).

Thereafter we need to work on stabilization which I'm sure will turn
up at least one bug, maybe two (smile).  Stabilization will run for a
good while I'd say and will take some effort all around.  Only bug
fixes should go into 0.92 branch (J-D might have to tie me to the
mast).

Should we discuss in a separate whether to pull in security?

St.Ack

Re: Branching for 0.92 [WAS -> Re: [DISCUSSION] Accumulo, another BigTable clone, has shown up on Apache Incubator as a proposal]

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Ma, Ming <mi...@ebay.com> wrote:
> Great to hear we are finally going to cut 0.92 branch!
>
> Is there a summary list of all issues (if the criteria isn't blocker or critical according to JIRA) that have to be fixed before branching can happen, or it is more of a time driven decision, e.g., regardless of what happens we will cut it by 9/16?

I think we'll cut it even if still issues to fix.

Here is current list:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/fixforversion/12314223#atl_token=A5KQ-2QAV-T4JA-FDED%7C0ce6f0991a83ab3e0a9b2c621566491abd478ad6%7Clin&selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversion-issues-panel

St.Ack

Posted by "Ma, Ming" <mi...@ebay.com>.
Great to hear we are finally going to cut 0.92 branch!

Is there a summary list of all issues (if the criteria isn't blocker or critical according to JIRA) that have to be fixed before branching can happen, or it is more of a time driven decision, e.g., regardless of what happens we will cut it by 9/16?

> I'd like to propose branching friday week, the 16th.  Hopefully that
> will might get folks to focus on these last outstanding issues (of
> which there are quite a few).

The sooner the better.

> Thereafter we need to work on stabilization which I'm sure will turn
> up at least one bug, maybe two (smile).  Stabilization will run for a
> good while I'd say and will take some effort all around.  Only bug
> fixes should go into 0.92 branch (J-D might have to tie me to the
> mast).

You being the RM is like the fox guarding the henhouse :)

> Should we discuss in a separate whether to pull in security?

I think so.

J-D

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
> I'd like to propose branching friday week, the 16th.  Hopefully that
> will might get folks to focus on these last outstanding issues (of
> which there are quite a few).

The sooner the better.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The secure RPC engine would still have to be split off into a separate
> tree, since there are some classes that derive from the SASL support and
> token authentication in secure Hadoop.  Can't break compilation of the
> non-secure profile.  If there's a way to add an extra source tree in a
> profile, that could work.
>
> My impression of maven was that it's more "regulated" than that, and that
> modules were the blessed way of doing multiple source trees.  But I'll try
> some experiments.  Any additional pointers are appreciated.

A quick test on the security branch shows that this might actually work,
using a separate profile for security and the codehaus
build-helper-maven-plugin:add-source goal.

This could serve as a baby step towards modules, as I could separate the
submodule structure for security code:

security/
    src/main/java/
    src/test/java/

etc., without having to move around the current HBase code.  This would
still set us up for modularizing when ready by shifting around the HBase
core code into one or more submodules later.

I'll try proving this out more today.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Gary, I'll figure out with you how to be helpful re HBASE-4336.

Best regards,

       - Andy

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I applied your patch to 0.92 and trunk.
St.Ack

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, that works too. Generally, I think people go with project.version, but
it doesn't really matter ;)

-Jesse

Posted by "Rottinghuis, Joep" <jr...@ebay.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by "Rottinghuis, Joep" <jr...@ebay.com>.
Thanks St.Ack!

Joep

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by "Rottinghuis, Joep" <jr...@ebay.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I hope HBASE-4213 can get in before Friday.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.