Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Michael Decker <m....@tesis.de> on 2008/01/24 16:04:16 UTC

Motivation of moving from OpenLDAP to ApacheDS WAS: Searching takes unrealistic time.

	Hello,

I'm sorry that I can't help you.

But it would be intresting for me what your motivation to move to ApacheDS
from OpenLDAP, because I wonder, if it would be chance to use OpenLdap
instead of ApacheDS because of all their tools and scripts.

Thanks a lot.

Your Michael Decker
--
Michael Decker                              M.Decker@tesis.de
TESIS SYSware GmbH                        http://www.tesis.de

Geschäftsführung: Dipl.-Math. Gerhard Zipf,
                  Dipl.-Math. Alfons Weber
Sitz und Registergericht: München HRB 89277

Re: Motivation of moving from OpenLDAP to ApacheDS WAS: Searching takes unrealistic time.

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.
Michael Decker wrote:
> But it would be intresting for me what your motivation to move to ApacheDS
> from OpenLDAP, because I wonder, if it would be chance to use OpenLdap
> instead of ApacheDS because of all their tools and scripts.

Which tools do you exactly mean? OpenLDAP does not provide UI tools
(afaik), but you can use Apache Directory Studio perfectly with both
ApacheDS and OpenLDAP. On the other hand, the command line tools
available for OpenLDAP work for ApacheDS as well (at least standard
things like ldapsearch etc.). All because LDAP is standardized on the
protocol level.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan

Re: Motivation of moving from OpenLDAP to ApacheDS WAS: Searching takes unrealistic time.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Michael Decker wrote:
> 	Hello,
>
> I'm sorry that I can't help you.
>
> But it would be intresting for me what your motivation to move to ApacheDS
> from OpenLDAP, because I wonder, if it would be chance to use OpenLdap
> instead of ApacheDS because of all their tools and scripts.

I don't know about Siva motivations, but I can see some use cases for
someone wanting to move from OpenLdap to ADS :
- ADS can be embedded into a Java application, OpenLdap can't
- ADS offers StoredProcedures and triggers, OpenLdap  don't
- ADS contains a Kerberos Server, OpenLdap is just a pure Ldap Server

Now, whether  you want to switch or not, I have to say that OpenLdap is
an incredible piece of software, reliable, production ready, fast, and
well supported.

So it's up to you. Test it, and use it if it fits your need. We don't
claim to be better than OpenLdap, we are just another Open Source Ldap
server !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com