Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by "maros.urbanec" <ma...@nokia.com> on 2019/04/01 07:50:21 UTC

Clarity on Ignite filesytem

Hi all, I've been recently looking into Ignite Filesystem (IGFS for short)
and couldn't find much assistance by Google searches.

Reading the documentation, it wasn't immediately obvious whether IGFS as a
cache for HDFS is an option or a must. In other words - is it possible to
use IGFS without Hadoop or any other secondary file stores; storing files in
Ignite cache only?

Secondarily, I've tried to start Ignite with
examples\config\filesystem\example-igfs.xml configuration, only for Java
client to obstinately claim "IGFS is not configured: igfs". The
configuration is being read by Ignite, since enabling shared memory endpoint
end up in error (I'm running on Windows). Is there any step I'm missing?

As a last question - there is no C++ API for IGFS at this point. However, a
recurring talk on these mailing lists is an integration of IGFS as a
userspace filesystem. Is this item stipulated on a roadmap?

Re: Clarity on Ignite filesytem

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.
Hi Maros,

Over the years of IGFS existence we came to conclusion that it doesn't fit
to typical Ignite use cases well. Currently development of this component
is frozen. Most likely it will be removed in nearest future.
Hence, no plans to improve it or extend with new APIs.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Do you need an in-memory file system for your use case or you need a
technology like Ignite (in-memory data grid and in-memory database use
cases)? If you are looking for the former than check out Alluxio, if you'd
like to use Ignite to offload Hadoop and have issues with latencies then
Ignite can help but with a different architecture.

-
Denis