Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Rhodes, Phillip C." <Ph...@alcoa.com> on 2003/05/19 21:29:55 UTC

ant build file standard

I am trying to build tapestry from CVS.
It appears that there is a dependency upon jetty or another application
server to build.

I would recommend that you compile against the servlet and java
specifications instead of against a particular application server vendor.

My feeling is that you should not need an application server to build your
library.

For example, if you use java 1.4, you could just use:
  <pathelement location="${env.JAVA_HOME}/lib/j2ee.jar"/>

If i get it to work this way, I will contribute my edited ant scripts, but
since I am a tapestry newbie, I will just install jetty for now.

Thanks.  Just trying to provide some feedback based upon my experience.

Re: ant build file standard

Posted by Christian Sell <ch...@netcologne.de>.
Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:
> Jetty and/or JBoss are convienient to compile against since Tapestry developers will have those
> handy, for testing ... and to ensure that auto deployment works.

I think the dependence on Jetty and/or JBoss has always been an
unnecessary drawback for tapestry. I have neither on my machine, nor
would I install them.

Christian

RE: ant build file standard

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.