Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Ramandeep Kaur <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/13 20:22:50 UTC

Server and client compatibility test for 10.2 and 10.1

Hi,

I ran suite derbynetclientmats to test Server and Client compatibility for
the following combinations:-

Server: 10.2 (svn 368249), Client: 10.1 (svn 368246),
derbyTesting.jar: 10.1(svn 368246)
Server: 10.1 (svn 368246), Client: 10.2 (svn 367899),
derbyTesting.jar: 10.1 (svn
368246)

Server: 10.2, Client: 10.1, derbyTesting.jar: 10.1
jvms: jdk15, ibm142

Test failures:
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:derbynet/NSinSameJVM.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/autoGeneratedJdbc30.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/dbMetaDataJdbc30.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/metadata.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/odbc_metadata.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/procedure.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/updatableResultSet.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/syscat.sql

Server: 10.1, Client: 10.2, derbyTesting.jar: 10.1
jvms: jdk15, ibm142

 Test failures:
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/dbMetaDataJdbc30.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/metadata.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/odbc_metadata.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/forupdate.sql
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/updatableResultSet.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:store/holdCursorJDBC30.sql
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/LOBTest.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/metadataJdbc20.java
derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/connectionJdbc20.java

After looking at the failures, I have found that failures could be due to:
- Error message changes from one version to another. Hence creating diff.
- Messages with version number which is different. hence creating diff.
- Changes due to bug fixes.

I will look into the failures more. I am attaching the report files for
results ran with jdk15 only. If you get a chance, please look at the
failures and provide me your feedback.

Thanks,
Ramandeep Kaur (ramandhindsa@gmail.com)

Re: Server and client compatibility test for 10.2 and 10.1

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
I looked at the failure in checkDataSource (see below) and it's not
clear to me why running with a 10.1 client and a 10.2 server should
cause this error to occur (see below - it happens twice).

Note that the underlying EmbedConnection is the same, but the wrapping
BrokeredConnection is different (which actually is correct).  This seems
like a bug in the test, actually.

I'll log a JIRA, I have some other things on my plate that are higher
priority for me.  If someone feels this is blocking them, please up the
priority in the JIRA item, let me know, and I'll get on it.

I'll include a hint on how to fix it if anyone is motivated to jump on this.

David

java.lang.Exception: Two connections from the same pooled connection
have different string values:
org.apache.derby.iapi.jdbc.BrokeredConnection30@19492125, Wrapped
Connection = org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection30@22199751 (XID
= 164), (SESSIONID = 33), (DATABASE = wombat), (DRDAID = null) ,
org.apache.derby.iapi.jdbc.BrokeredConnection30@12231451, Wrapped

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks, Kathey, I re-read your proposal.  I guess in principle I think
this is a good thing, but it seems like an awful amount of work.  But I
am open to holding this as a vision and supporting it; backward
compatibility is a very important feature, I think we all agree.

I think ConnectionEnv is a better name than Behavior(iour/ioure)Checker

David

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> I'll check this diff, but one quick comment: a lot of these diffs look
> like formatting diffs.  Shouldn't we be using the 10.2 canons even if we
> are using applications built against 10.1?

No. Think of the 10.1 tests as an existing customer application. Any
changes seen by the tests may also be seen by real customer
applications. I'm suprised there were that many failures, though I
haven't seen the breakdown. I could see the addition of SQLStates for
client messages would make a number of tests fail.

Dan.

Re: Server and client compatibility test for 10.2 and 10.1

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Ramandeep Kaur <ra...@gmail.com>.
 Hi,

I ran regression testing with 10.2.0.0 alpha - 372715 (except
derbyTesting.jar) and 10.1 derbyTesting.jar file.

Summary
--------------
OS: Windows 2000, JVM: sun jdk 142
599 Tests Run
90% Pass (536 tests passed)
10% Fail (63 tests failed)
1 Suites skipped

Failed Tests
------------------
derbyall/derbyall.fail:jdbcapi/metadata.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:jdbcapi/odbc_metadata.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/LOB.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/aggregate.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/altertable.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/authorize.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/autoincrement.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/checkConstraint.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/compressTable.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/db2Compatibility.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/dcl.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/declareGlobalTempTableJava.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/implicitConversions.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/logStream.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/logop.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/primarykey.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/procedure.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/refActions1.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/schemas.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/subquery.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/syscat.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/updatableResultSet.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/valuesclause.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:lang/views.sql
derbyall/derbyall.fail:jdbcapi/checkDataSource.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:jdbcapi/metadataJdbc20.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:jdbcapi/connectionJdbc20.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:jdbcapi/autoGeneratedJdbc30.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:jdbcapi/dbMetaDataJdbc30.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:jdbcapi/checkDataSource30.java
derbyall/derbyall.fail:jdbcapi/LOBTest.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:derbynet/NSinSameJVM.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/autoGeneratedJdbc30.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/dbMetaDataJdbc30.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/metadata.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/odbc_metadata.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/forupdate.sql
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/procedure.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/updatableResultSet.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/syscat.sql
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:store/holdCursorJDBC30.sql
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/LOBTest.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/blobclob4BLOB.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/parameterMapping.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/metadataJdbc20.java
derbyall/derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/connectionJdbc20.java
derbyall/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:derbynet/NSinSameJVM.java
derbyall/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/autoGeneratedJdbc30.java
derbyall/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/dbMetaDataJdbc30.java
derbyall/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/metadata.java
derbyall/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/odbc_metadata.java
derbyall/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/procedure.java
derbyall/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/syscat.sql
derbyall/encryptionAll/encryptionAll.fail:store/access.sql
derbyall/encryptionAll/encryptionAll.fail:store/access.sql
derbyall/encryptionAll/encryptionAll.fail:store/access.sql
derbyall/encryptionAll/encryptionAll.fail:store/access.sql
derbyall/encryptionAll/encryptionAll.fail:store/access.sql
derbyall/encryptionAll/storemats.fail:store/access.sql
derbyall/encryptionAll/storemats.fail:store/streamingColumn.java
derbyall/storeall/storeall.fail:storetests/st_1.sql
derbyall/storeall/storemats.fail:store/access.sql
derbyall/storeall/storemats.fail:store/streamingColumn.java

I am attaching report file.

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Great stuff, thanks Raman.

David

Posted by Ramandeep Kaur <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Ramandeep Kaur <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to Kathey for proposed solution.

1. As per task 1, I have opened JIRA issues for failed tests:-

2. I will work on task 2 to skip failing tests while running server and
client compatibility testing.

In the mean time, hopefully we will have some more input on other proposals
from Kathey.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 1/20/06, Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> [...]
> (or better name) which tests can use to check the behaviour based on
> combinations, drivers or whatever.  It will take a connection in the
> constructor and will have methods like
> closesForwardOnlyRSOnFetchOfLastRow() or
> supportsAutogeneratedKeysForMultipleRowInserts() which check the
> DatabaseMetaData to make the right decision.  For example,
> closesForwardOnlyRSOnFetchOfLastRow()  will be true  for JCC and false
> if  the driverVersiion is greater than or equal to 10.2 (DERBY-213).
>
> 3) In the 10.1 branch, set the property for the failing tests. Hopefully
> someone will start weekly runs with 10.1/10.2 combinations.
>
> 4) Java tests that need to handle different behaviour in order to pass
> can either do something generic to resolve the problem or use
> BehaviourChecker to do the right thing.  Always the tests are being
> changed in the lower level branch, right now that means 10.1.
>
> Examples:
> derbynet/NSinSameJVM.java
> Test fails because network server no longer outputs connections to the
> console by default.  The test can be enabled by changing the location of
> the console output for the test, since it is not the console output
> being tested.

jdbcapi/autoGeneratedJdbc30.java
> Test fails because of different results with (10.1 client/10.2
> server).  The 10.1 test could be be enabled by.
>
> 1) Add a method to BehaviourChecker
> public boolean suppportsAutogeneratedKeysOnMultipleRowInsert()
> {
>       // if database version from DatabaseMetaData
> greatThanOrEqualTo(10,2,0)  return true
>      // code left as excercise for the reader.
> }
>
> 2) Change the test
>    BehaviourChecker checker = new BehaviourChecker(conn);
>    if (checker.suppportsAutogeneratedKeysOnMultipleRowInsert())
>    {
>          // expect one thing
>    }
>   else
>    {
>       // expect something else
>    }
>

> Pros as I see it:
> -  We keep messy test changes in the old branches.
> -  We avoid excluding entire tests because of expected differences or a
> single issue
> -  BehaviourChecker has the beneficial side effect of documenting
> expected behaviour.
> -  BehaviourChecker  could be expanded to handle a lot of the  harness
> property functionality as well as replace the various  framework
> checking  logic in the individual tests.
>

> Cons
> - It is just not going to work for .sql tests.
> - Those interested in maintaining this testing  will have to do work in
> the maintenance branches, but I just don't see a way around that and it
> keeps our trunk tests clean.
> -  Behaviour is spelled different ways by different people so probably a

Makes sense.

re sql tests - I found, at least in main, while looking for the 'excludeJCC'
property we have in the test harness, (which apparently is currently not
used in any test properties file) that possibly the harness will look for
canons for clients in directories ver + major number + minor number, e.g. '
ver10.1'. or 'ver10.2'. It looked like it tries this whether the client is
DerbyNet or DerbyNetClient. Worthwhile checking into for whomever is going
to do this? This interesting bit of code is in harness/FileCompare.java.
I've not tested it.

Myrna

Re: Server and client compatibility test for 10.2 and 10.1

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

<snipped - lots of good suff about testing cross versions>

It occured to me the other day, and maybe this was the intention, that
this testing is not limited to network server and clients.

I should be able to run

java -cp derby10.1/derbyTesting.jar:derby10.2/derby.jar
      org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunSuite derbylang

Any failures should be explainable by changes to 10.2, or they are
regressions.

Dan.

Re: Server and client compatibility test for 10.2 and 10.1

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 1/16/06, Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Ramandeep Kaur wrote:
>
> >Thanks to Kathey for looking into test failures.
> >
> >Attaching tmp and tmpstr files for autoGeneratedJdbc30 and
> holdCursorJDBC30.
> >
> >Please check out the attachments.
> >

> These do not look like compatibility problems.
>
> holdCursorJDBC30 - Output changed with fix for DERBY-213
> autoGeneratedJdbc30 matches the 10.2  master  and looks like a changed
> output from the fix for DERBY-353.

I think there's another change required in the test harness to support this
type of testing. There'll be need for test skipping, for sed-ing, and
(hopefully minimal) canons for diffing. Is that being implemented?

 I imagine something similar to what is currently in place for different JCC
clients.

However, with the JCC clients, we always use the derbyTesting.jar of the
server level. Because of the number of changes gone into 10.2 by now (I'd
think, especially, the connection # output), there would be a large number
of failures if one'd use the 10.2 derbyTesting.jar with
10.1-client-10.2server testing. I assume that is why the
10.1 version derbyTesting.jar was picked.
But then, instead of only supporting the different clients, we'll also be
supporting different server versions in the test harness/test files...Which
would also possibly mean adding more code to an older version to support a
newer version.

It seems trivial now, but what about future versions? Like, 10.3 server and
10.1 client? We'll have to keep adding - hopefully minor - changes to the
10.1 test harness...Especially if we have canons, we may need to keep
modifying those canons both in multiple versions' derbyTesting.jars.
Hopefully I am worrying about nothing...but I do want to mention this
implication.

Myrna

Re: Server and client compatibility test for 10.2 and 10.1

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Ramandeep Kaur <ra...@gmail.com>.

Raman (ramandhindsa@gmail.com)

Defining compatibility stability (was Re: Server and client compatibility test for 10.2 and 10.1)

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks for trackin these down, Dag.

So, I'm not sure how this works.  We have made compatible changes in
terms of the API, but incompatible in terms of the output, particularly
of message strings.  Is this considered a failure, and we are no longer
backward-compatible?

I agree we want to be backward-compatible, but do we need to apply the
same level of rigor to ij output format and error message strings as we
do to APIs?

At Sun we have a mechanism for declaring the stability of each interface
we present to users, where interfaces include but are not limited to:

- APIs
- command-line interface name and syntax
- stdout
- stderr
- error codes from command-line interfaces
- jar file names
- package names
- directory structure
- install location
- configuration file names
- configuration file syntax and format
- database file format
- transaction log file format
- error log file format

Each stability level implies a contract as to how and when an interface
can change (generally: it can change at a major release, at a minor
release, or at any time).  Generally things like the API and CLI syntax
have a higher stability guarantee than say stderr or the error log format.

I think it might be worth our while to put up a Wiki page and identify
all our interfaces and the level of stability we want to have for them,
so we know what we should be testing for in terms of compatibility
between releases...

David

Dag H. Wanvik wrote:
> Hi,

> Kathey> >Server: 10.1, Client: 10.2, derbyTesting.jar: 10.1
> Kathey> >---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Kathey> >jvms: jdk15, ibm142
> Kathey> >
> Kathey> > Test failures:
> Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/dbMetaDataJdbc30.java
> Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/metadata.java
> Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/odbc_metadata.java
> Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/forupdate.sql
> Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/updatableResultSet.java
> Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:store/holdCursorJDBC30.sql
> Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/LOBTest.java
> Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/metadataJdbc20.java
> Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/connectionJdbc20.java
>
> I have run this mixed release scenario (details below) and checked the
> results for:
>
> 	lang/forupdate.sql
> 	lang/updatableResultSet.java.
>
> In both cases, the differences are due to changes in the client, and
> thus expected. The changes are reflected in the current (10.2) client
> masters. Mostly, the diffs are changed exception messages, and in some
> cases, SQLStates.
>
> Dag
>
> ******* Start Suite: derbynetclientmats 2006-02-01 02:41:16 *******
ar:/home/dw136774/derby/trunk/tools/java/jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Kathey,

Kathey> >Server: 10.1, Client: 10.2, derbyTesting.jar: 10.1
Kathey> >---------------------------------------------------------------------
Kathey> >jvms: jdk15, ibm142
Kathey> >
Kathey> > Test failures:
Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/dbMetaDataJdbc30.java
Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/metadata.java
Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/odbc_metadata.java
Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/forupdate.sql
Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:lang/updatableResultSet.java
Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:store/holdCursorJDBC30.sql
Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/LOBTest.java
Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/metadataJdbc20.java
Kathey> >derbynetclientmats/derbynetmats/derbynetmats.fail:jdbcapi/connectionJdbc20.java

<snip>

Kathey> - forupdate and updatableResultSet are  probably expected but it would
Kathey> be good if someone familiar with the updateable resultset work on 10.2
Kathey> could verify.

I'll have a look at this.

Dag

Re: Server and client compatibility test for 10.2 and 10.1

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.