Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by "F.Aubele" <fl...@infraview.eu> on 2014/01/20 18:16:18 UTC

Problems with webconsole and bundle cache

Hi everyone,
I have 2 major problems right now. I'm using the official karaf 3 release
and felix as container implementation. Karaf is running on linux.
The first problem i have is that i want to install certain features as boot
features.
These features are:
webconsole,eventadmin,blueprintweb,jndi,obr.

If i put these features into the featuresBoot list in
org.apache.karaf.features.cfg, the web console is only showing the OSGI and
WebConsole Tab, the Main tab and the event entry in the osgi tab are
missing. After feature:uninstall and feature:install in the shell,
everything works fine again.

The second problem is much more problematic for me right now:
If i do a forced shutdown of the VM I run Karaf on, all bundles i have
installed via the WebConsole won't start up again. This happens when i run
karaf as a service and when i start it manually. At first i thought it had
something to do with blueprint, since most of my bundles are using it, but
it also happens with the apache ace managementagent bundle.

Most of the time the error looks like this:

Unresolved constraint in bundle org.apache.ace.managementagent [166]: Unable
to resolve 166.0: missing requirement [166.0] osgi.wiring.package;
(&(osgi.wiring.package=org.osgi.service.deploymentadmin)(managementagent=true)(version>=1.0.0)(!(version>=2.0.0))).

I get this error,too:

ERROR: Error reloading cached bundle, removing it:
/srv/apache-karaf-3.0.0/data/cache/bundle165
(java.lang.NullPointerException)

which maybe leads to the missing requirements, but i did not get the NPE for
every installed bundle.

After restarting, the installed bundles are still in the cache-folder, but
are not visible in the bundle list of the web-console or via the list
command in the shell. In the log files every manually installed bundle is
missing some requirements or is removed because of "Error reloading cached
bundle".
If i delete the bundles from the cache folder, restart the karaf
service/server and install the bundles manually again, everything works
fine. If i do not remove the bundles from the cache folder, it is not
possible to install the bundles again manually, error message is:

Cannot install or update bundle from
/srv/apache-karaf-3.0.0/data/tmp/install116617036763718115.tmp
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Bundle installation rejected by hook.

It seems that this does not happen with installed features, but only with
manually deployed bundles. It's really sad, because I like Karaf 3 a lot
more than geronimo, but i need a working restart in case of power loss.

I will try to create more detailed stack traces.
Workaround could be to:
a)deploy the bundles into the system repository, so they will be seperated
from the data folder/cache (this was working when using geronimo) or
b)create a feature out of my bundles and add this feature to the boot
features.
Since I want to use Apache Ace for bundle provisioning, I'm not sure how
these workarounds will work out long term.
I have the feeling that using the bundle cache would greatly simplify things
in this regard.
Every help is appreciated.
Thanks
F.Aubele

Re: Problems with webconsole and bundle cache

Posted by Ryan Moquin <fr...@gmail.com>.
It could have to do with maybe write caching of changes to disk.  Buffers
maybe get flushed more often than one than the other.  Either way, it's
virtually impossible to prevent corruption in these circumstances unless
you can put a UPC on the server.  Otherwise, taking the stacktrace,
determining the type of issue that occurred and taking corre tive action is
the only option.  Maybe I'll take a look at it for fun... if someone else
solves it first then at least I'm more familiar with Felix, otherwise,
maybe I can make another contribution.

Ryan

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It seems that Equinox is more "flexible" in term of "brute shutdown"
than Felix.

Regards
JB

On 02/28/2014 03:01 PM, F.Aubele wrote:
> What is very strange is that i now did a clean install of karaf again,
> installed needed features, deployed all bundles via deploy folder, did a
> force shutdown and everything works fine after a restart (using equinox as
> framework). i can't really reproduce it, seems the bundle cache does not get
> corrupted everytime. just wanted to let you know.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Problems with webconsole and bundle cache

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Actually, it's not really a Karaf issue, it's more an OSGi framework issue.

I understand your point. I will take a look on Felix framework.

I keep you posted.

Regards
JB

On 02/28/2014 02:49 PM, F.Aubele wrote:
> I know its not a clean shutdown, but its super important for me that the
> system and bundles restart correctly after something like system reboot
> caused by power loss. if you could look into it would be greatly
> appreciated.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Problems with webconsole and bundle cache

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Catcha,

and it makes sense. I'm able to reproduce the problem only at least by
killing the JVM (brute kill ;)).

Anyway, it's not a clean shutdown. I gonna take a look if I can improve
it somehow in Felix Framework.

Regards
JB

On 02/28/2014 02:30 PM, F.Aubele wrote:
> I don't know if stopped is the right expression, i just kill the linux
> virtual machine, its like pulling out the power cord on the computer, sudden
> death so to speak. The problem only exists when doing a forced shutdown,
> normal system shutdown an startup are working fine.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Problems with webconsole and bundle cache

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
So, you "stopped" the Windows service, right ?

Are you able to reproduce the problem if you start Karaf with bin/karaf
and "cleanly" shutdown using system:shutdown ?

Regards
JB

On 02/28/2014 01:42 PM, F.Aubele wrote:
> I killed (force shutdown) the virtual machine karaf is running on as service

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Problems with webconsole and bundle cache

Posted by "F.Aubele" <fl...@infraview.eu>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Did you kill the Karaf Java process ?

Or just do a shutdown in the console ?

Regards
JB

On 02/28/2014 01:01 PM, F.Aubele wrote:
> Seems i have the same problem with equinox now, too,  so maybe it is not
> felix dependend, but has something to do with the bundles, even if i am not
> sure what could be the cause. I will try to experiment some more.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Problems with webconsole and bundle cache

Posted by "F.Aubele" <fl...@infraview.eu>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I agree. I know that a new Felix framework release is planned very soon.

I will try to reproduce Florin's issue.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Problems with webconsole and bundle cache

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Florin,

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Florin,

Besides the questions of JB, were you able to reproduce the same behavior
with equinox as framework? Cause from this description plus your question
at stackoverflow, it gives me the impression that the cache does get
corrupted.
Since Karaf uses a newer version of Felix it might be a recession of Felix.

Regards, Achim

sent from mobile device

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Florin,

> [...]

> org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Bundle installation rejected by hook.
>
> It seems that this does not happen with installed features, but only with
> manually deployed bundles. It's really sad, because I like Karaf 3 a lot
> more than geronimo, but i need a working restart in case of power loss.
>
> I will try to create more detailed stack traces.
> Workaround could be to:
> a)deploy the bundles into the system repository, so they will be seperated
> from the data folder/cache (this was working when using geronimo) or
> b)create a feature out of my bundles and add this feature to the boot
> features.
> Since I want to use Apache Ace for bundle provisioning, I'm not sure how
> these workarounds will work out long term.
> I have the feeling that using the bundle cache would greatly simplify things

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com