Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matthias Ferber <ma...@bwise.com> on 2001/02/07 23:37:25 UTC

NoSuchMethodError when using custom tag with attributes - found info but still can't resolve

I've found this error described in the mailing list archives, but I cannot
figure out why I'm still seeing it and I can't make it go away.  When I try
to load a JSP page that uses a custom tag library containing attributes (my
own, or the sample included with Tomcat), I get the following error:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
         at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.createAttribute(TagLibraryInfoImpl.java:524)
         at....

Here's what I've done and determined so far.  (We're running Tomcat 3.2.1
on top of Apache 1.3 on Solaris.)

- I searched the mailing list archives and found that there is an error (or
perhaps a version incompatibility) between a class in servlet.jar and a
call to its constructor in jasper.jar in at least one version.  The
constructor call has arguments in the wrong order, which causes the
NoSuchMethodError exception.
- I verified that the most up-to-date versions of servlet.jar and
jasper.jar are contained in the Tomcat lib directory, re-downloading them
to be sure, and even going so far as to extract the relevant class files
and decompile them to make sure the constructor call matched the method
signature.  It did.
- I also renamed or hid all other copies of servlet.jar to make sure that
the CLASSPATH wouldn't inadvertently access them, and also stripped down
the CLASSPATH to the bare minimum, hoping to prevent any incorrect versions
from being loaded.  No luck.

I am truly stumped and desperate.  Does anyone out there please, please
have any suggestions?  Reply to the list or to matthias.ferber@bwise.com.

Thanks!