Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Carlos Alonso <in...@mrcalonso.com> on 2015/09/28 14:29:23 UTC

DC's versions compatibility

Hi guys.

I have a very old cassandra cluster 1.2.19 and I'm looking to add a new
datacenter to it for analytics purposes in a newer version, let's say
2.1.8. Will those DC's communicate properly?

Regards

Carlos Alonso | Software Engineer | @calonso <https://twitter.com/calonso>

Re: DC's versions compatibility

Posted by Carlos Alonso <in...@mrcalonso.com>.
Hi guys.

Thanks for your reply.

Is this because the versions are very far from each other (e.g. Different
major versions) Or as a rule of thumb, all nodes in a cluster, even in
different DC's MUST have the same version?

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 5:29 AM, Carlos Alonso <in...@mrcalonso.com> wrote:

> I have a very old cassandra cluster 1.2.19 and I'm looking to add a new
> datacenter to it for analytics purposes in a newer version, let's say
> 2.1.8. Will those DC's communicate properly?

As Jonathan suggests :

1) Upgrade your existing cluster to 2.1.X
2) Then add an additional DC for analytics

=Rob

RE: DC's versions compatibility

Posted by SE...@homedepot.com.
You CAN run mixed versions in your cluster for a short time when you are upgrading. However, you will most likely not be able to run repairs or any other streaming operations (adding nodes, adding a DC, etc.) while in this state.

The advice below is correct. Upgrade your current ring to the version you need; then add the DC at the same version. This is the only way to be sure that the streaming required will work.

Sean Durity – Lead Cassandra Admin

No, they won't.  Always run the same version across your cluster.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 5:29 AM Carlos Alonso <in...@mrcalonso.com>> wrote:
Hi guys.

I have a very old cassandra cluster 1.2.19 and I'm looking to add a new datacenter to it for analytics purposes in a newer version, let's say 2.1.8. Will those DC's communicate properly?

Regards

Carlos Alonso | Software Engineer | @calonso<https://twitter.com/calonso>

The information in this Internet Email is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this Email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients any opinions or advice contained in this Email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing The Home Depot terms of business or client engagement letter. The Home Depot disclaims all responsibility and liability for the accuracy and content of this attachment and for any damages or losses arising from any inaccuracies, errors, viruses, e.g., worms, trojan horses, etc., or other items of a destructive nature, which may be contained in this attachment and shall not be liable for direct, indirect, consequential or special damages in connection with this e-mail message or its attachment.

Re: DC's versions compatibility

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.