Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> on 2015/09/23 11:09:19 UTC

AOO build system upgrades

Hi

I see there was a historical attempt to upgrade the build environment
to gbuild which migrated some modules
(https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_Environment_Effort), and a
more recent attempt, Capstone 2013, to get AOO to build in Visual
Studio.

Have we chosen a final build system yet?

The reason I ask is that I became quite familiar with gbuild in the
course of migrating our unit tests to Google Test, and have already
successfully migrated one dmake module (formula) to gbuild, so if
there are no objections, I am going commit those changes and carry on
migrating other modules.

Our current hybrid build.pl + dmake/gbuild system is complex, ugly,
slow, unreliable, and hard to maintain, and I believe it's also a
barrier of entry for new developers
(https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_System_Analysis). LO has
already migrated their build system to pure gbuild. Shouldn't we?

Regards
Damjan

Re: AOO build system upgrades

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> I see there was a historical attempt to upgrade the build environment
> to gbuild which migrated some modules
> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_Environment_Effort), and a
> more recent attempt, Capstone 2013, to get AOO to build in Visual
> Studio.

Yes and we have branches for both of them, even though gbuild is
currently stalled. Note that we have a third one too, see
http://markmail.org/message/q4n3lv4tex6boljq (Markmail archive is
discontinued due to technical problems on their side, but old
discussions are OK).

> Have we chosen a final build system yet?

We had some long discussions on this, the last of which can be seen above.

> successfully migrated one dmake module (formula) to gbuild, so if
> there are no objections, I am going commit those changes and carry on
> migrating other modules.

No objections on my side. Of course the focus is now on wrapping up
4.1.2, but everything that makes trunk better is good too!

> Our current hybrid build.pl + dmake/gbuild system is complex, ugly,
> slow, unreliable, and hard to maintain

We all pretty much agree on this. The reason it has existed so far is
that it works and that streamlining it has little (or zero) user-visible
benefit but requires significant effort.

> and I believe it's also a barrier of entry for new developers

It could also be a way to recruit a few ones, if you want to follow the
Capstone experience from last year (with a gbuild-targeted project this
time). If you feel you could use help from a small student team, you can
apply as a mentor (by tomorrow) at http://s.apache.org/um ; as Jan
reported, these initiatives have mixed success, but it might be worth
trying.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: AOO build system upgrades

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/23/2015 11:09 AM, schrieb Damjan Jovanovic:

> [...]we chosen a final build system yet?
>
> The reason I ask is that I became quite familiar with gbuild in the
> course of migrating our unit tests to Google Test, and have already
> successfully migrated one dmake module (formula) to gbuild, so if
> there are no objections, I am going commit those changes and carry on
> migrating other modules.
>
> [...]

another great idea, thnak for taking over. :-)

Marcus

Re: AOO build system upgrades

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

> On 2/9/2016 2:11 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> == HELP, TOO MANY MAKEFILES ==
>>
>> I started looking at what's been done so far. And, due to the fact
>> that dmake also uses makefiles, what's the correct way to invoke GNU
>> make for a build? It looks like the "main" makefile for what's been
>> migrated so far is /main/Module_ooo.mk (?)
>>
>> Is there any way to test our actual make file changes on a per
>> module basis?
>
> From
> http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Makefile-Arguments

> 9.1 Arguments to Specify the Makefile
>
> The way to specify the name of the makefile is with the ‘-f’ or
> ‘--file’ option (‘--makefile’ also works). For example, ‘-f altmake’
> says to use the file altmake as the makefile.
>
> If you use the ‘-f’ flag several times and follow each ‘-f’ with an
> argument, all the specified files are used jointly as makefiles.
>
> If you do not use the ‘-f’ or ‘--file’ flag, the default is to try
> GNUmakefile, makefile, and Makefile, in that order, and use the
> first of these three which exists or can be made (see Writing
> Makefiles).
>
> It looks as though you can call your file "GNUmakefile" and it will
> be used even if there is also a "makefile" or "Makefile". You could
> alternatively pick a different naming convention and use "-f", but I
> recommend against it. Calling your file "GNUmakefile" will give
> subsequent developers a very useful clue.
>
> Patricia

Thanks for the response Patricia. I know we  make use of recursive
makefiles, but I just couldn't see where the top most makefile was
for the gnu make (gbuild) scenario was for some reason.

The wiki page on build system analysis:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_System_Analysis

gives  instructions for proceeding but omitted the important factor
on what the name of the topmost makefile  was. In the end, ta! da!,
it is in fact named "GNUmakefile" in trunk/main. ( I guess I'm
blind!) So, all good for now. I will update the wiki page with what
I've found so far.

Re: AOO build system upgrades

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

 From http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Makefile-Arguments

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
[getting back to this old thread for a moment. See below]

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/23/2015 05:26 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:09 AM, Damjan Jovanovic<da...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I see there was a historical attempt to upgrade the build environment
>> to gbuild which migrated some modules
>> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_Environment_Effort), and a
>> more recent attempt, Capstone 2013, to get AOO to build in Visual
>> Studio.
>>
>> Have we chosen a final build system yet?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I became quite familiar with gbuild in the
>> course of migrating our unit tests to Google Test, and have already
>> successfully migrated one dmake module (formula) to gbuild, so if
>> there are no objections, I am going commit those changes and carry on
>> migrating other modules.
>>

> Go for it! When you say "migration" do you mean a COMPLETE changeover or
> would we have both the dmake approach and gbuild for a time? It's important
> to use a build system that has more universal acceptance in my opinion.
>
> IMO, the important thing is to use gbuild and not necessarily emphasize the
> Visual Studio aspect.
>
> And, THANK YOU for taking this on.

yes, thanks for taking over this and trying to bring it to the end.

Marcus

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/23/2015 11:23 AM, schrieb jan i:
> On Wednesday, 23 September 2015, Damjan Jovanovic<da...@apache.org>  wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I see there was a historical attempt to upgrade the build environment
>> to gbuild which migrated some modules
>> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_Environment_Effort), and a
>> more recent attempt, Capstone 2013, to get AOO to build in Visual
>> Studio.
>>
>> Have we chosen a final build system yet?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I became quite familiar with gbuild in the
>> course of migrating our unit tests to Google Test, and have already
>> successfully migrated one dmake module (formula) to gbuild, so if
>> there are no objections, I am going commit those changes and carry on
>> migrating other modules.
>>
>> Our current hybrid build.pl + dmake/gbuild system is complex, ugly,
>> slow, unreliable, and hard to maintain, and I believe it's also a
>> barrier of entry for new developers
>> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_System_Analysis). LO has
>> already migrated their build system to pure gbuild. Shouldn't we?
>

> ?? Not sure why I am copied on this mail not being committer I have no
> saying in what to choose.
>
> I do not see any specific questions for me, so please do not fill my inbox
> (I read dev@ from time to time).

I think because of the Capstone 2013 project he has asked you. Anyway,
even if not I don't see a reason for such a negative answer.

Marcus

Re: AOO build system upgrades

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, 23 September 2015, Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I see there was a historical attempt to upgrade the build environment
> to gbuild which migrated some modules
> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_Environment_Effort), and a
> more recent attempt, Capstone 2013, to get AOO to build in Visual
> Studio.
>
> Have we chosen a final build system yet?
>
> The reason I ask is that I became quite familiar with gbuild in the
> course of migrating our unit tests to Google Test, and have already
> successfully migrated one dmake module (formula) to gbuild, so if
> there are no objections, I am going commit those changes and carry on
> migrating other modules.
>
> Our current hybrid build.pl + dmake/gbuild system is complex, ugly,
> slow, unreliable, and hard to maintain, and I believe it's also a
> barrier of entry for new developers
> (https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Build_System_Analysis). LO has
> already migrated their build system to pure gbuild. Shouldn't we?

?? Not sure why I am copied on this mail not being committer I have no
saying in what to choose.

I do not see any specific questions for me, so please do not fill my inbox
(I read dev@ from time to time).

rgds
jan i