Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by freeway <fw...@qad.com> on 2010/01/26 02:42:45 UTC

Re: How can OpenEJB ignore old webapps in Tomcat?

Hi Jean-Louis, &nbsp; Thanks very much for your quick response and interest in this feature.&nbsp; It is definitely a requirement for our deployments, as OpenEJB will be supporting an application that will run in a shared Tomcat environment at virtually all our customer sites. &nbsp; Another benefit for many use cases would be quicker Tomcat startup time, and I have seen some posts on this forum indicating that this is also important to some other OpenEJB users. &nbsp; As to how it is implemented, I think the only firm requirement is that it be easily configurable at deployment time.&nbsp; Off the top of my head, I would think that new system properties and/or openejb.xml settings would make the most sense. &nbsp; Again, let me know how I can help and what your plans are.&nbsp; I know that we would want to use this feature to support OpenEJB deployments later this year. &nbsp; &nbsp; Regards, Fred -----"Jean-Louis MONTEIRO [via OpenEJB]" &lt;ml-node+1289651-1601017899@n4.nabble.com&gt; wrote: ----- To: freeway &lt;fwy@qad.com&gt; From: "Jean-Louis MONTEIRO [via OpenEJB]" &lt;ml-node+1289651-1601017899@n4.nabble.com&gt; Date: 01/25/2010 12:31PM Subject: Re: How can OpenEJB ignore old webapps in Tomcat? Hi Fred, If it's a requirement for you, i'd be more than happy to provide such a feature. Would like to get community opinion on the best way to implement it. Kind regards, Jean-Louis freeway wrote: Hi Jean-Louis and forum, I would like to press for this kind of enhancement to embedded OpenEJB: that is, one that allows particular webapps in the Tomcat environment to be included/excluded from its scope. I am frankly amazed that such a basic feature was not built into the package from the very beginning. &nbsp;Production environments are not sandboxes, most of them are shared with applications of various origins and ages, written in different coding styles. &nbsp;Not being able to limit the scope of OpenEJB in a shared Tomcat environment raises grave doubts about whether we should use it at all! &nbsp;Otherwise, how can we ever be sure that some other webapp deployed before or after OpenEJB will not break it? I would be glad to discuss the point in more detail with the project team, or provide other materials that would further progress. &nbsp;(I could also attempt my own hacks to your source code of course, but am much less confident of success using that approach!) Regards, Fred View message @ http://n4.nabble.com/How-can-OpenEJB-ignore-old-webapps-in-Tomcat-tp1051311p1289651.html To unsubscribe from Re: How can OpenEJB ignore old webapps in Tomcat?, click here .