Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ben Wylie <sa...@benwylie.co.uk> on 2005/04/07 17:14:51 UTC

rules du jour and windows

I run spamassassin on windows.
I like the SARE rules and would love to be able to automatically keep them
up to date. Is there a windows alternative for "rules do jour"? I do have
cygwin installed. Is it easy to set it up with that? I guess I would prefer
to do it in windows, but if cygwin is the only way I could do it, I would.
Are there instructions on how to set it up with cygwin?

Sorry for my ignorance,

Ben

Re: rules du jour and windows

Posted by Chris Thielen <cm...@someone.dhs.org>.
Hi Ben,

Ben Wylie wrote:

>I run spamassassin on windows.
>I like the SARE rules and would love to be able to automatically keep them
>up to date. Is there a windows alternative for "rules do jour"? I do have
>cygwin installed. Is it easy to set it up with that? I guess I would prefer
>to do it in windows, but if cygwin is the only way I could do it, I would.
>Are there instructions on how to set it up with cygwin?

Theoretically there should be few problems getting RDJ running on
cygwin, although I don't actually know of anyone who's done so yet (I'm
the author of RDJ).

If that's something you want to try, I'll walk through it with you and
we can come up with a HOWTO.  Feel free to contact me offlist.

Chris Thielen

RE: rules du jour and windows

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> I run spamassassin on windows.
> I like the SARE rules and would love to be able to
> automatically keep them
> up to date. Is there a windows alternative for "rules do
> jour"? I do have
> cygwin installed. Is it easy to set it up with that? I guess
> I would prefer
> to do it in windows, but if cygwin is the only way I could do
> it, I would.
> Are there instructions on how to set it up with cygwin?

I have a setup that another person shared with me a while back. I
haven't actually used it, but can't see why it wouldn't work. It
essentially uses wget to download a list of files. It was never
automated to the point that it would actually update the rules, but I
don't see why that would be hard to do. I think I'd want to do some more
coding on it before using it to check the file's timestamp and only
update newer files. Maybe I'll do that someday...

For now, it'd be fairly straightforward to create a batch file to wget a
list of files daily and then restart your spam scanner if necessary.

Bret