Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org> on 2019/10/30 13:02:50 UTC

release process - using rc tags

Dear All,

Our current tagging policy in the release process requires to use the same
tag for all the release candidates which means at RC2 we remove the tag
from RC1 head and adds again to the RC2 head and so on. I think it is not a
good practice. Hard to track RCs and rewriting git history is usually not a
good idea.
If there are no objections, I'll update the related scripts and docs so we
will create RC tags (e.g. apache-parquet-1.11.0-rc6) first and add the
final release tag (e.g. apache-parquet-1.11.0) after the vote passes.

Regards,
Gabor

Re: release process - using rc tags

Posted by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org>.
Thanks everyone for the support.
I've created the jira PARQUET-1687
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PARQUET-1687> to track this and also
3 PRs for the site <https://github.com/apache/parquet-site/pull/2>, mr
<https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/pull/697> and format
<https://github.com/apache/parquet-format/pull/155> repos.
There is also a PR for site <https://github.com/apache/parquet-site/pull/1>
which is related to the releasing policy.
Could you please check them out so we can step forward with the release?

Cheers,
Gabor

P.S. Thanks, Ryan for the link of the Iceberg release process. It was
very helpful. Meanwhile, I've discovered a bug in it
<http://iceberg.apache.org/how-to-release/#finishing-the-release>. After
adding the tag it does not say to push it. Without pushing the tag it will
only be available locally.

Posted by Anna Szonyi <sz...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Junjie Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.